Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breast implants might hide early stage cancer

5 posters

Go down

Breast implants might hide early stage cancer Empty Breast implants might hide early stage cancer

Post by COOKIE 7th May 2013, 7:29 pm

Going from an A cup to a D cup by the silicone or saline route might mask early stage breast cancer from a mammogram, and affect your survival odds later, according to a new review of medical literature.

View Full Image
Wikimedia Commons/FDA

Silicone or saline might increase your cup size, but decrease your chances of catching breast cancer in the early stages.

That’s troubling news. There were approximately 307,000 breast augmentation surgeries performed in the U.S. alone in 2011, an 800 percent increase since the early 1990s.

Many epidemiological studies indicate that cosmetic breast implants do not directly raise a woman’s risk for breast cancer. But there’s a concern that implants may indirectly harm women by masking early-stage tumors from detection. Cosmetic breast implants can create a shadow on mammogram that obscures part of the breast tissue – between 22 and 83 percent of parenchymal breast tissue, which constitutes most of the breast.

In a study published in the British Medical Journal on Tuesday, Canadian researchers from Laval University in Quebec, the University of Toronto, the University of Ottawa and other institutions examined 12 large observational studies of breast cancer conducted in the past 20 years to try and gauge the long-term effect of implants on breast cancer detection and survival.

Must Read

2Fuse Tricks, Techniques and Hacking Tool for iOS Devices

Where's My Water? Walkthrough Guide and Tricks [Videos]

U.S. Drama 'House of Cards' Series Invades Aussie TV on Foxtel

True Blood Season 6 Full Trailer Unveiled (Spoiler Alert)

Sponsorship Link

They concluded that the data from those studies showed that women with cosmetic breast implants have a 26 percent increase in risk for being diagnosed at a later stage of breast cancer than women without implants. They then took a look at five additional studies, and concluded that cosmetic breast implants came with a 38 percent greater risk of death from breast cancer.

“The research published to date suggests that cosmetic breast augmentation adversely affects the survival of women who are subsequently diagnosed as having breast cancer,” the authors wrote.

The researchers acknowledge that their study has several limitations, many common to meta-analyses of other studies. The studies they examined all had unique features to their methodologies, and may have suffered from flaws like misclassification of deaths of subjects that could affect the estimates for breast cancer survival.

Our results should be interpreted with caution, considering the current gaps and limitations in the available literature,” they wrote. “Further investigations are warranted into the long term effects of cosmetic breast implants on the detection and prognosis of breast cancer.”

But if the conclusions turn out to be true, what sort of solutions are available? There is some suggestion that MRIs could be a helpful way to diagnose breast cancer in women with implants, but there’s still insufficient evidence to support this, the authors say.

Source here
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Breast implants might hide early stage cancer Empty Re: Breast implants might hide early stage cancer

Post by misf1 9th May 2013, 11:30 pm

I think with the way modern technology is going they will be able to do a lot better mamograms very soon. It would be interesting to see, how many women with a lot of breast tissue are also missed during mamograms and what the failure rate is for any size breast with or without implants.
From what we've seen just on this forum we've had 2 ladies who have found lumps early because of implants.
Does make you think though.
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Breast implants might hide early stage cancer Empty Re: Breast implants might hide early stage cancer

Post by jogo 10th May 2013, 3:23 am

Having the implants resulted in me finding out that i have a lump in my right breast - it's not cancerous but i have been advised to keep an 'eye' on it. I had no idea it was there. Even with next to no tissue i couldn't feel a thing. So for me its been a double bonus having the augmentation: 1) Great new boobies and 2) An awareness of a potential problem, making me inspect and go for more regular check ups!
jogo
jogo
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 268

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie12 10th May 2013, 5:37 am

So is there no way of checking for breast cancer once we have implants? I thought mammogram can detect breast cancer after BA?

xx
blondie12
blondie12
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 883

Back to top Go down

Post by jogo 10th May 2013, 7:38 am

I was told a mammogram and an MRI would detect if anything was there.

xx
jogo
jogo
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 268

Back to top Go down

Post by blondie12 10th May 2013, 7:43 am

Ok, that's good.

I wish there were doing a mammogram at younger age. I'm 32 and my mum had breast cancer 4 years ago. I have asked doctors for regular mammograms for me, just to be on the safe side, and they said that they start to do mammograms when you're 50. This is just crazy!!!
blondie12
blondie12
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 883

Back to top Go down

Post by halo 10th May 2013, 8:38 am

Scary but I think that whitest having a ba there seeing things in there so like the lady above found out she had a lump she never knew about, I am
More aware of things after the ba as I hated them before hand and wouldn't look at them let alone feel for lumps !! X
halo
halo
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 748

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down