Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PIP implant removal dimemna

+12
sherri9871
xx sharon xx
Abec84
alfie
RoxyChick
geordieprincess1985
hattie260
natalia
leelee661
bubblegum
COOKIE
missP
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PIP implant removal dimemna Empty PIP implant removal dimemna

Post by missP 18th July 2010, 10:14 am

Hi,

I have PIP implants, they were used in my breast augmentation back in 2003.

Just found out that I had these implants in May this year because I started to feel aches and pains earlier in the year which became worse and researched on the internet, found out about the PIP implant recall and when I asked the hospital where I originally had the ba done they advised me I had PIP implants.

So far, I am getting no help from my original surgeon, Ive been through the breast clinic too and had two ultrasounds done which didnt pick up a problem with the implants.

I have also had two consultations where after clinical examination was told that my right implant shows sign of a leakage because of the way it feels and its decrease in size compared to the left.

My pain spreads in the upper right area of my body each day.

I now have a dilemna -

The last surgeon I saw said that I should have an MRI to see whats going on, then have removal en bloc along with needle biopsy of the lumps I have in my lymph nodes. Have no implants for 6 months to recover before having another operation to insert new implants.

This means paying for two operations at £3500 each time and the mri is going to cost extra at £477 = £7,477. This is reasonable but I would be devastated to pay £3500 for removal only walking away with no implants.

I only have enough money to pay for one operation and the mri which I will have to borrow and repay.

However, he suggested an alternative less costly route -

He supplies me with a letter to give to my doctor or the breast clinic to explain my condition and say that my implants must be removed and hopefully the NHS will do the removal then in 6 months time I will only be paying for one operation for new implants.

The option to have the NHS do the removal is based on if they will agree and how long this takes.

I really dont know what to do, I can tell myself that I have leakage and all this time Ive only been trying to prove it to get medical help.

I have been advised that due to my implants being under the muscle they are attached to my chest wall and this is a more complicated procedure to remove.
I could get a punctured lung. Im also wondering where the silicone has leaked because it seems to be affecting my whole upper right side, front to back.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

PIP implant removal dimemna Empty Re: PIP implant removal dimemna

Post by COOKIE 18th July 2010, 10:45 am

My heart goes out to you hun PIP implant removal dimemna 571992

The surgeons aren't giving you a firm diagnosis, you understand that don't you hun PIP implant removal dimemna 571992 They're saying you're presenting symptoms that require further investigation which is right as we discussed in your previous thread - Your GP has already given you 2 ultra sounds that confirmed the implants were intact but hopefully it's possible with the letter and more pressure from you your GP might refer you on.

Regardless of the ultra sound saying the implants are in tact, you want the implants out, your GP should be helping you to that, this causing you too much emotional pain as well as physical.

I would as I've suggested before hunni take a different approach with your GP, get the letter from the surgeon and tell your GP that you want a referral to have the implants removed on the NHS or further investigation into other possibilities to explain your pain.

Good luck hun. xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by bubblegum 18th July 2010, 10:48 am

OMG this sounds a terrible situation to be in! I'm so sorry.

I think the NHS are offering explanns anyway arent they? I would imagine they would have to, because if the implants were kept inside you and there was a further risk to your health they could be held liable for not treating you. It is the NHSs job to do what they need to do to keep you healthy so I would opt for that option and then look to get the implants put back in at a later date.

I may be in the same situation as you very shortly as I am awaiting an ultrasound to determine what was is going on with my PIPs.

I think its terrible that we have to shell out all this money again and our health is at risk when our contracts were with the surgeons we had our ops with, it makes me so cross!!!
Big hugs and best of luck x
bubblegum
bubblegum
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 18th July 2010, 11:10 am

Just to add missP - Did you also present your GP with the information James McDiarmid gave you HERE hun?

If not, print off the entire conversation and present this in addition to the other surgeons letter to your GP babe. xxx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

PIP implant removal dimemna Empty same here!

Post by leelee661 18th July 2010, 3:11 pm

missP wrote:Hi,

I have PIP implants, they were used in my breast augmentation back in 2003.

Just found out that I had these implants in May this year because I started to feel aches and pains earlier in the year which became worse and researched on the internet, found out about the PIP implant recall and when I asked the hospital where I originally had the ba done they advised me I had PIP implants.

So far, I am getting no help from my original surgeon, Ive been through the breast clinic too and had two ultrasounds done which didnt pick up a problem with the implants.

I have also had two consultations where after clinical examination was told that my right implant shows sign of a leakage because of the way it feels and its decrease in size compared to the left.

My pain spreads in the upper right area of my body each day.

I now have a dilemna -

The last surgeon I saw said that I should have an MRI to see whats going on, then have removal en bloc along with needle biopsy of the lumps I have in my lymph nodes. Have no implants for 6 months to recover before having another operation to insert new implants.

This means paying for two operations at £3500 each time and the mri is going to cost extra at £477 = £7,477. This is reasonable but I would be devastated to pay £3500 for removal only walking away with no implants.

I only have enough money to pay for one operation and the mri which I will have to borrow and repay.

However, he suggested an alternative less costly route -

He supplies me with a letter to give to my doctor or the breast clinic to explain my condition and say that my implants must be removed and hopefully the NHS will do the removal then in 6 months time I will only be paying for one operation for new implants.

The option to have the NHS do the removal is based on if they will agree and how long this takes.

I really dont know what to do, I can tell myself that I have leakage and all this time Ive only been trying to prove it to get medical help.

I have been advised that due to my implants being under the muscle they are attached to my chest wall and this is a more complicated procedure to remove.
I could get a punctured lung. Im also wondering where the silicone has leaked because it seems to be affecting my whole upper right side, front to back.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Sounds very similar story to mine. I had mine in Dec of 2001, have not felt right for 4yrs but much worse in the last yr. Have been down every road with doctor so reserched implants to find this news. I too have had an ultrasound that didn't show anything but I know my right one is leaking (you know your own body!) Some days I just cannot function and certainly cannot hold down a full time job. This is affecting my life. I am having mine out via NHS just waiting for a date.( hope not too long) I will have a break because I need to feel well again. If I have replacements straight away and don't get well I may be thinking it is my bodies reaction to implants so need to be free of them for a while to prove to myself. Not looking forward to 2 deflated balloons but at least it will be getting on for winter!
I have another appt with NHS next Monday so I will let you know. Good luck!
leelee661
leelee661
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by missP 18th July 2010, 9:35 pm

Thanks everyone,

I forgot all about my conversation with Mr McDiarmid, thanks for reminding me Cookie, I will take a copy of this to print off and your advice to take a different approach with my GP is a good idea.
I just hope the letter from the consultant arrives before Wednesday.
Last time I saw my GP I showed her a copy of what was on the baaps website about the PIP implants and she quickly scanned over it like she didnt have time to really read it. I hope that the GP I see on Wednesday is more helpful.

Thanks for your support also Bubblegum and Leelee, I am so sorry that you are mixed up in this awful situation, I hope you both get your problems with the PIPS sorted out too. If when I get there and have them removed I will also have two empty boobs.

Would like to know how you both get on, best of luck!

MissP xx
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by missP 22nd July 2010, 8:14 am

Unfortunately I got no where with another GP yesterday. He did give me ibuprofen though which I wont be taking because I dont believe in taking pain killers if there is an underlying problem which is causing me pain. Why should I wait for this to cause me permanent problems.

He said it was ok to take them long term. I disagree.

I was surprised to find another appointment from the breast clinic mailed to my door. I didnt get a letter from the consultant in Glasgow so I think he contacted the breast clinic instead, to tell them there was something wrong.

Its too late though, Its still no guarantee of getting them removed and another wait, 18 Aug and 26 Aug.

The day before, I paid for my removal over the phone to have it done privately. Im sticking to this route for fastness despite the financial impact. I value my health more.

I just wanted to thank you for giving me good advice.

MissP. x
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by leelee661 22nd July 2010, 1:10 pm

Good luck! What day are you having them out? let us know how you are.
leelee x
leelee661
leelee661
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by missP 22nd July 2010, 11:15 pm

Hi Leelee,

Not got a date booked yet, waiting for the surgeon to call me tomorrow to arrange this, I have to arrange the MRI first.

I called the hospital to ask what the new appointment was for and the appointments department said that Id received this by mistake!

She said I was to have another ultrasound and then Id be seen again so she cancelled that appointment!

No apology for this error.

Is it just me or does this make no sense?
The radiologist who does the ultrasounds said that it really has to be an mri to successfully detect rupture but they continue with a second ultrasound to be done in 6 weeks.

Maybe it would pick something up at this stage if the breakage is worse which I dont want to let happen.

Excuse my frustration but I have really suffered with this for months now and got no where until now that I am paying for it.

How are you Leelee, what stage are you at?

Will keep you updated!

MissP.
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 23rd July 2010, 5:56 am

missP wrote:Unfortunately I got no where with another GP yesterday. He did give me ibuprofen though which I wont be taking because I dont believe in taking pain killers if there is an underlying problem which is causing me pain.

I'm so sorry to read this hun, the lack of support you've recieved from your clinic, was... hmmmm expected tbh. But your GP!!!!! That hun has come as a huge surprise!

Regardless of your PIPs the test given to you was inconclusive, therefore your doc wants to treat a condition with no diagnosis! PIP implant removal dimemna 751387 I really wouldn't be happy with your care from your GP hunni.

The day before, I paid for my removal over the phone to have it done privately. Im sticking to this route for fastness despite the financial impact. I value my health more.

Although financially this is hard, I think considering the emotional pain and stress alone your going through, this is the best option for you hun, I don't think you're going to be OK at all until you have the implants out (I didn't have PIPs, but can absolutely relate due to my rupture regardless of me having aftercare costing me a further £3,500 which I didn't have and had to find, it was hard but for peace of mind, I did it) - I'm so very glad you're now proceeding with the re-op and we'll all be here to support you along the way hun.

'Positive' thinking now sweetness - THE PIPS ARE COMING OUT! PIP implant removal dimemna 727935
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by missP 23rd July 2010, 8:35 am

Thank you Cookie,

I have arranged a date for surgery, having them removed on 20 August, 4 weeks away.

Do you know the least amount of time required between removal of implants and re-insertion.

My surgeon said that I have to allow for my tissues to recover but I really want to have new ones put in as soon as possible.

I would, of course, only consider that earlier if I had made full recovery.

Take Care, MissP
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by natalia 23rd July 2010, 10:57 am

hsnt your surgeon dscussed this with u?he should really let u know how long after having them out u can have new ones put back in xxx
natalia
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 9176

Back to top Go down

Post by missP 23rd July 2010, 12:51 pm

Hi Natalia,

He has told me 6 months, if Im recovered sooner I would like to push for sooner than that for replacement but I dont think it will be that easy.

Take Care, MissP.
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by natalia 24th July 2010, 7:01 am

oh well u should listen to your surgeon it will fly by hun sooner than u know it xxxx
natalia
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 9176

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 24th July 2010, 7:09 am

missP wrote:Thank you Cookie,

I have arranged a date for surgery, having them removed on 20 August, 4 weeks away.

Do you know the least amount of time required between removal of implants and re-insertion.

My surgeon said that I have to allow for my tissues to recover but I really want to have new ones put in as soon as possible.

I would, of course, only consider that earlier if I had made full recovery.

Take Care, MissP

Hmmm.... I had a ruptured implant although not PIPs, but I can't see that being an issue and had my implants removed and replaced on the same day.

Geordieprincess1985 has PIPs and she is also having her implants removed and replaced on the same day using Mr Liew at MyBreast.

I'm thinking it's just your surgeons preferred way of treating his patients hun, you'll often find differing advice on here from all the different surgeons, you just found one that works differently to others... If you want to replace your implants immediately I'd shop around babe and see what other surgeons have to say, I can't see that you would have a problem hun. xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by missP 24th July 2010, 9:46 am

Hi Cookie,

I would love to have new ones in at the same time but its really only not possible for me because I have been in pain aswell, if another possible health problem is causing this I would not know unless I go through a period without implants.

I had the chance to go with mybreast for removal/replacement same time but I decided to do the sensible thing for me and take the advice another surgeon gave me to have a recovery period.

He also suggested I have MRI before the op, I have this done on 9 August. When I have my implants removed, a lymph node with a lump will also be taken out for testing.

Take Care, MissP. x
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 24th July 2010, 10:36 am

missP wrote:Hi Cookie,

I would love to have new ones in at the same time but its really only not possible for me because I have been in pain aswell, if another possible health problem is causing this I would not know unless I go through a period without implants.

He also suggested I have MRI before the op, I have this done on 9 August.

You should be able to determine whether or not your pain is implant related once you have the MRI scan won't you? PIP implant removal dimemna 727885 If your implants are found to be intact then what reason would your surgeon have not to replace the implants?

I had the chance to go with mybreast for removal/replacement same time but I decided to do the sensible thing for me and take the advice another surgeon gave me to have a recovery period.

You have to do what feels right for you babe, if you're happy with your choice then there is no better.

When I have my implants removed, a lymph node with a lump will also be taken out for testing.

Lots of luck with that sweetness, I hope all goes well. xxxx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by missP 24th July 2010, 4:10 pm

Hi Cookie,

"You should be able to determine whether or not your pain is implant related once you have the MRI scan won't you? PIP implant removal dimemna 727885 If your implants are found to be intact then what reason would your surgeon have not to replace the implants?"

I was actually wondering that!

If the MRI doesnt find a rupture though, I will still not have an explanation for the pain which seems to be in the area of my implants and my breasts.

I know the burning and tenderness is due to my implants because when this began I noticed that my right breast had become smaller.

The aching pain, Im not so sure. This may be related also but I am aware that this could be caused by something else. This was the symptom I began to feel first earlier in the year in my right arm.

I understand where you are coming from and I really appreciate you pointing things out to me because you know how the cosmetic industry works and money is the most important thing to alot of surgeons. The surgeon who is doing my operation told me to go through the breast clinic first because he expected they would give me the right treatment but this has not been the case.

I have now had to take this route for a resolve.

The way I see this is if the consultant told me to go through the breast clinic first for investigation and treatment with the knowledge that the NHS would then arrange removal then he must be taking my best interests into consideration.

MissP xx
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hattie260 25th July 2010, 6:58 pm

I had no idea Bupa used PIPs - I'm rather horrified as I thought they were supposed to be a good company to go with.I know someone who went there a few yrs ago for BA - maybe I should contact them to make them aware!

Good luck with your unfortunate journey - I do hope things work out for you x
hattie260
hattie260
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2121

Back to top Go down

Post by missP 25th July 2010, 9:49 pm

Hi Hattie,

Just thought Id point out that every surgeon who works through Bupa (now Spire) is allowed to make their own decision on what manufacturer of impants to use in their patients breast augmentations. Bupa does not restrict this. Their consultants are self employed.

It is a good idea to request what type and make of implants were used in your breast augmentation if you dont know or if you dont have paperwork to show this either.

You can do this by sending a letter with signature to your original surgeon or hospital asking a copy of this information. It has to be in writing from yourself and signed to show your consent.

I think that every woman getting breast implants should have documentation showing what implants they had and the serial nos.
This is not always given to us as in my case.

Take Care, MissP.
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by missP 25th July 2010, 9:52 pm

Also, your friend may not have PIP implants because every surgeon has a different opinion of what is best, their bank account or their patients best interest.

Its still worth for her to request this info if in doubt.

MissP. x
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by hattie260 25th July 2010, 10:10 pm

missP wrote:
Just thought Id point out that every surgeon who works through Bupa (now Spire) is allowed to make their own decision on what manufacturer of impants to use in their patients breast augmentations. Bupa does not restrict this. Their consultants are self employed.

ah I see, thanks hun. I have emailed her and advised her to check what implants she had with her surgeon when I asked her what size at the time (this was 6yrs ago) she said she didn't know just the biggest they could fit so I am guessing she doesn't know what she had. There must be quite a lot of women out there who don't know about them. x
hattie260
hattie260
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2121

Back to top Go down

Post by missP 26th July 2010, 8:53 am

Yes, there's still alot of women who dont know about them and other women who were unaware of what implants were used in their breast augmentations at the time are finding out that PIPs were used, fingers crossed your friend doesnt have them!

I was completely unaware that I had PIP implants and didnt even know about the recall and quarantining of the unused ones and that they were under investigation for using an unapproved gel until this year, thats 7 years later, and only because I started to research on the internet to find out what was causing me the pain in my breasts.

I then read about the Poly Implant Prosthese problem and even still I didnt think I had them because in my mind I was thinking well I went with Bupa and they are a very good private health care organisation. It wasnt until another lady said to me, if you dont know what implants you have you better ask your original surgeon because your symptoms are very similar to other ladies who have the PIPs.

I was absolutely shocked to find out I had them, I have found out that my original surgeon has used implants from different manufacturers in other ladies ops but used PIP implants in others including me.

Hope your friend will be lucky and not have them PIP implant removal dimemna Icon_eek

MissP. x
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by geordieprincess1985 26th July 2010, 9:27 am

Hi huni
as cookie was saying I am having mine removed
and replaced at the same time
if I were you I would have the MRI first
before you have them removed as if there's
no rupture it can't possibly be the implants
causing u pain
I know exactly what u are going thru Hun
I got a nasty infection after my op which
needed numerous antibiotics and also really
bad swelling and my breasts have never felt
right for two years since I got them in
but when I spoke to mr liew he said
it was pointless me having a scan
as either way they needed to come out
I think it will put ur mind at rest sweetie to
have the MRI first to see what's going on
in there
even if they were ruptured I'm sure it still
wouldn't be a problem to remove them and replace
all the surgeons with mybreast are baaps reg
and wouldn't take on an op risky to u and them
I would defo go and see a few more surgeons first
princess
but hope whatever u decide to do all goes well :-) xxxxx
geordieprincess1985
geordieprincess1985
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 201

Back to top Go down

Post by missP 26th July 2010, 9:44 am

Hi hun,

Thanks, I am having the mri on 9 August, I wont have the results straight away as far as I know, is supposed to take a few days for the report to be available.
I will then see my consultant to discuss it.

Im sorry to hear that you had suffered after your breast augmentation, Im certain the replacement one will be a success as with many other ladies.

I wish you all the best with your op and I will keep you up to date with what happens!

Take Care, MissP xx
missP
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next