Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Useful website re overs v unders

+7
red
roxanne
*Alice*
Gillian1808
Wishful
COOKIE
hotknockers
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Useful website re overs v unders  Empty Useful website re overs v unders

Post by hotknockers 23rd June 2012, 4:54 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thought this was pretty informative ladies

HK
X
hotknockers
hotknockers
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Useful website re overs v unders  Empty Re: Useful website re overs v unders

Post by COOKIE 23rd June 2012, 5:01 pm

Great read! Thanks for posting hotknockers Useful website re overs v unders  184153 xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wishful 23rd June 2012, 5:12 pm

Ooh that was a good find,!think it makes the comparisons very clear x
Wishful
Wishful
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 792

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 23rd June 2012, 5:45 pm

I would strongly disagree though that 'overs' give a 'round' look.

You'd be hard pushed to tell who had unders and who had overs in my opinion. You only have to look at the avatars here to know that Useful website re overs v unders  869500 ... so I don't think its a 'realistic' guide... coming from a 'real woman' lol its not at all true, but like I said, a good read though, but I wouldn't take it as truth. I only skimmed the page earier, now after reading indepth, I'm shocked!xx

Last edited by cookie on 23rd June 2012, 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hotknockers 23rd June 2012, 5:50 pm

I think I'm back to pref unders given lower risk of bottoming out and cap con.

That's good to know cookie as its a round full look I'm looking for xx
hotknockers
hotknockers
Active BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 23rd June 2012, 5:58 pm

I can't believe the surgeon who wrote that said he 'seldom does overs anymore'

Any surgeon who stuck to one single profile, I'd run a million miles from Useful website re overs v unders  2661777810 !!!!! That's not right at all... The more I take in from the page, the more I'm finding wrong.

No surgeon should choose only one profile over another, we're each different in our anatomy and therefore what's right for one woman may not be right for another.

I really wouldn't be guided by this page at all girls.... Speak to your own surgeon about the placement that is right for YOU. The surgeon who wrote this is obviously biased and what he is advising is wrong girls... so, so wrong. xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hotknockers 23rd June 2012, 6:07 pm

Oh dear!! Just as well we have you here huni . The Internet can be a blessing and a curse I suppose!
hotknockers
hotknockers
Active BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 23rd June 2012, 6:31 pm

I'm going to add some quotes here from a BAAPs registered surgeon James McDiarmid, who answered questions for us here hun in regard to whether overs or under were the best placement for women as I fear some may take that page seriously and each woman really should have her placement tailored to suit her own body type, no one placement is right for every woman. Useful website re overs v unders  683465

These responses are quoted from James's 'ask a surgeon' section here:

Definitely overs if you have enough tissue to cover the implant naturally.

Unders are great in some patients but not great in others,
Good luck,
JM

I try to go in front of the muscle as much as possible as this produces a
far more natural breast in terms of movement and wobbliness.

Behind
is an option when patients really are lacking soft tissue cover but I
have to say I think the dual plane pocket is over-used. Evidence for
this is the high number of patients who send me their pictures from this
forum with a similar story. The problem I see very often is caused by a
round high profile implant stuck up way too high behind the pectoral
muscle creating a double-bubble appearance. Often looking at the preop
photos it is hard to imagine why the surgeon did not choose the simpler
option of staying in front of the muscle.

And when asked how are unders and overs determined this was his very detailed response:

The usual answer is that it all boils down to thickness of soft tissue
coverage (determined by skin pinch) and to a large extent it does,
however there are several other factors which figure in the decision.
This
conventional wisdom is largely based prior to the advent of form stable
(less ripply) implants and holds very true in extremely thin ladies.

After 20 years of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
practice and 10 years NHS consultant and private practice the basis
upon which I take the decision to encourage patients to have either
unders (usually partial unders/dual plane) versus overs has evolved
quite far.

I do not think that there is a correct plane for every patient indeed certain patients would have a good static (i:e photographic) result with a round or teardrop shaped implant either in front or behind the muscle.

What I would definitely say to you
though is that the enhanced mobility of a subglandular (over) implant
means a more natural dynamic result. The implant will move with the
breast gland as it is filling the natural plane that the glandular
tissue normally occupies.
So an 'over' implant will hang, wobble, feel and age more like a normal breast than an 'under'.

The
enhanced tissue adherence seen with 'unders' means that in addition to
being prone to move with pec major contraction the implants will tend to
be rather fixed to the chest wall and not flop to the side when the
patient lies down in bed or on a sun-lounger. This is both an advantage
and disadvantage as unders will be more gravitationally stable through
this enhanced tissue fixity. It can also make them more prone to
development of double-bubble as the breast ages and droops and the
implant stays up high.

In a nutshell - for the most natural
result go for overs if you can. Unders are great in certain patients but
not necessary unless you are super skinny.

Hope this helps put things into a little more perspective. Useful website re overs v unders  321562 xx

Last edited by cookie on 23rd June 2012, 6:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fix quote)
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gillian1808 23rd June 2012, 6:38 pm

After reading those quotes I am seriously wondering if the surgeon I saw today actually thought about the advice he gave me or if he only went with the type he prefers. "I normally only do unders" nope
Oh this surgery milarky is a minefield!! panic
Gillian1808
Gillian1808
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 184

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 23rd June 2012, 6:41 pm

If ANY surgeon says they only do one placement - RUN! Whats right for one woman may not be right for another and if it's not right for YOU, you're going to end up with complications sweetheart for sure. Useful website re overs v unders  2661777810

Its a good topic for us to have discussed here hotknockers Useful website re overs v unders  184153 xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by *Alice* 23rd June 2012, 7:15 pm

I was always very misguided regarding placements. I was convinced I was only suitable for unders. I wanted to look natural, I knew of two other girls who had unders and I was pretty convinced I wouldn't have enough tissue for overs.

On my first consultation the surgeon went through the positives and negatives of both placements, he was incredibly biased and told me I would be having overs. All before he had looked at my breasts, I knew this wasn't good practise.

My second surgeon listened to my worries regarding placements, examined me and said I was better for overs as the shape of my ribs would make it incredibly unpredictable. He said he doesn't understand where the theory came from that unders are better/more natural than overs, but assured me it was a myth.

The girls on here kindly reassured me with the overs vs unders game and I am incredibly happy I listened to my surgeon and had overs.

I saw this particular website during my own research, I think it's incredibly biase towards unders so don't read too much into it... Listen to what YOUR surgeon thinks is best for YOU! :thumbs: X
*Alice*
*Alice*
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2055

Back to top Go down

Post by roxanne 23rd June 2012, 10:28 pm

I had a look at this site before my op too. I agree with what cookie said so there's no point repeating it all. This surgeon is very biased, he doesn't even mention muscle distortion which is a real problem for some women.

I have noticed that there does tend to be a bias in the US towards unders. It would make sense, during the silicone implant ban saline implants became the norm. Saline implants tend to look and feel less natural on women with little tissue, they tend to ripple more unless you overfill them (but you get the firm feel/round look when you overfill which isn't a good option for those wanting the natural look and feel, but great if you want that faker rounder look). The best option with saline was to go under the muscle in order to reduce seeing/feeling the implants and ripples. Having said that I have a friend with saline overs, they look fab, she has thick skin but had small boobs pre op, so these are generalisations and not a problem for everyone, though she does admit hers feel firmer than the silicone ones she's felt (she had hers done in the early 90s couple of years after silicone was banned).

I would stay away from any surgeon who only does one placement. Sure, surgeons may have their preferences, but this should not stop them considering every patient case by case. My PS would have preferred unders based on my having very little coverage and fat in the upper pole. On the other hand, I have very strong pec muscles, and love to exercise my chest, therefore I ended up having overs. My boobs look natural, what I love is they move like natural boobs would, I doubt they would have moved like this with unders because of my strong tight muscles, they can only loosen and relax so much.

What most of us call unders are actually partials. Not many surgeons do full unders, they are few and far between. Partials can bottom out too since there's no muscle covering the bottom third implant. In my case, my pec muscle were likely to have pressed down on my implant, more problems than it's worth for me, including more implant palpability at the bottom as the implant is being pushed down, my PS explained it much better, lol.

I know you're only five days away, what did you PS say either way? xxx
roxanne
roxanne
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1336

Back to top Go down

Post by hotknockers 23rd June 2012, 10:41 pm

Hi roxanne, I see my ps on Monday for my consultation so will have the discussion about size n placement then. I just want to try and get as much info as poss so I can question his thinking - I have a page of questions at hand lol

Thanks again girls this overs v unders malarkey has been the most confusing part for me. Will obviously update you all come Monday!!! Xx
hotknockers
hotknockers
Active BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by roxanne 23rd June 2012, 10:49 pm

I totally understand, I went back and forth on the placement too. It was such a tough one with trade-offs either way. My PS and I are both very happy with our choice after all. I do mean our choice, because we discussed it on more than one occasion, and really measured out the pros and cons together. The difference is I carried on thinking it over a lot, many hours really.

Do give us news, I'd love to here about it xxx
roxanne
roxanne
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1336

Back to top Go down

Post by red 23rd June 2012, 11:53 pm

Hiya, I agree with all the points Cookie and Roxanne have made above. I have had 2 ba's both with unders. I had 4 consultations with different surgeons and regarding changing to overs they all point blank refused. I had lengthy conversations with Mr Traynor regarding overs and in his opinion he thought overs give the most natural look and feel on the right person, which wasn't me! However, I'm extremely happy with my 2nd ba-I can now get a clevage and my boobs are very soft-I had responsives. For me I had no choice regarding placement but I would have happily swaped to overs if possible. Boob jobs really are a science! Good Luck
red
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 196

Back to top Go down

Post by *Alice* 24th June 2012, 10:08 am

That's a really interesting point you make with the US and saline implants Roxanne! Makes a lot of sense! x
*Alice*
*Alice*
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2055

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsm 24th June 2012, 12:50 pm

I remember reading that link before I had my BA too, there's a bit of useful info there, but it is so strongly biased towards full unders it's ridiculous.

Just reading it then I started wanting to change my own implants to full unders, it's that persuasive!
So just take it with a large pinch of salt and remember that full unders are very very rare and there's a reason for that.
xx
mrsm
mrsm
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1180

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 24th June 2012, 1:02 pm

mrsm wrote:full unders are very very rare and there's a reason for that.
xx

Useful website re overs v unders  1978086825

Using a breast implant 'fully under the muscle' is really only used for 'reconstructive' surgery when there is no other option. For a BA only partially under the muscle or over the muscle is ever used to help achieve a natural result and even then the placement has to fit your body type to achieve that and lower the risk of complications post-op. xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fairycake22 1st July 2012, 11:25 am

Help!!!

I have just had a BA 420cc overs from 32AA, I am 8 days PO today and i AM REALLY UNHAPPY i am in tears!!!

I said to the surgeon i did not want overs as i am so small i was worried about them being really visible!! (Which they are!) Also one is about an inch higher than the other, it seems bigger as well!!! so i am so upset! to me it looks about a half cup size bigger if not a whole cupsize bigger!?

I dont know whether this is due to the implant sitting higher that it seems that way!!?

I really wish i had pushed my surgeon to go under the muscle but he really dissuaded me, saying that the cleavage is further apart and they can look odd etc!

Anyway i am really really upset to the point i am in tears!!! :-(

Please help, as i think i may have to have revision surgery! i know its early days but one has sat about an inch higher from day 1!!!

Will they change much more?? Do overs drop??

xx
fairycake22
fairycake22
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 1st July 2012, 11:37 am

Fairycake, I moved your post from the previous thread you posted in babe, to make a thread of your own [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Try to calm down lovely, everything is just as it should be for you being early post-op and everything you describe, those of us with unders have also had too and ended up with lovely results after our healing. So dry your eyes chick and just give your new boobs the time they need to heal Useful website re overs v unders  571992xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fairycake22 1st July 2012, 4:05 pm

cookie wrote:Fairycake, I moved your post from the previous thread you posted in babe, to make a thread of your own [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Try to calm down lovely, everything is just as it should be for you being early post-op and everything you describe, those of us with unders have also had too and ended up with lovely results after our healing. So dry your eyes chick and just give your new boobs the time they need to heal Useful website re overs v unders  571992xx

Hi Cookie, i saw that thank you so much! I know i am just really upset.

I had Overs but at the mo im wishing i had unders!

Do u have overs? do they drop as well??

Thank you xxx
fairycake22
fairycake22
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Mssaprl9 1st July 2012, 10:04 pm

Hmmmm, I'm having unders. My surgeon uses something called the "living bra" method where the implant is placed under all the muscles of the chest. Your own muscles are used to create coverage and support for the implant which gives you the most support and natural padding for a good feeling natural breast.
Mssaprl9
Mssaprl9
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 1st July 2012, 10:25 pm

Your surgeon is correct in telling you that the muscle will cover the implant and the muscle will indeed hold the implant which is why there is less movement of the breast from having unders to having overs, ALL breasts will eventually sag over time lovely, but it does take a little longer with unders as the muscle holds the implant back. This holding the implant back and referring to it as a 'living bra' is sweetie, your surgeons fancy name for 'Partials'

If you have enough breast tissue/body fat though, you have enough of your own natural coverage to go over the implant, so no need to replace that by unnecessarily going under the muscle.

Both placements are as good as one another hun, you gain something from one, but you lose something from another - Partials: take longer to sag. Overs: More natural feel and movement.

You'd be very hard pushed to actually tell who had unders from overs hun. There really is no 'better' placement. The 'best placement' is the one that's best for YOU. xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mssaprl9 1st July 2012, 10:33 pm

Wow cookie, I had no idea this meant partials! Thank you! I thought it was some new technique or something..haha I am happy to hear this now:) I am thin and have very little breast tissue, so my surgeon choose not to do overs on me, but he does do them.
Mssaprl9
Mssaprl9
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by Mssaprl9 1st July 2012, 10:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Read this, does it sound like partials? I'm confused
Mssaprl9
Mssaprl9
BJSF Addict