Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Determination of implant placement

4 posters

Go down

Determination of implant placement Empty Determination of implant placement

Post by misf1 29th January 2011, 11:40 am

Hi
I just wanted to know, when ladies go for consultations with a surgeon what does a surgeon take into consideration when he/she suggests what placement (under, over) he/she feels would look best. Is it weight, whether they have had children, the pinch test etc
Also if quite a young person came for a BA and was boarderline over or under placement and they wanted to have children in the future do you consider this and does it have an affect on what placement you would choose.
Thank you
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Determination of implant placement Empty Re: Determination of implant placement

Post by carol_s 29th January 2011, 12:32 pm

Good question hunnie, I would be interested in why a surgeon comes to these sorts of decision.
carol_s
carol_s
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post by John Pereira 7th March 2011, 9:18 pm

Hi there !
I seem to have missed this excellent question when it was posted.
Its a complex matter usually as to where to place the implant - there are some absolute reasons to put an implant above or below the muscle, but often it is simply what the surgeon prefers. I know some surgeons who never put implants under the muscle, and some who say they always do - I prefer to decide based upon the patient - here are a few reasons why "over" may be indicated;
The patient has a good covering of her own breast tissue and wants a more natural movement.
May be better in a slightly droopy (ptotic) breast where an uplift is not acceptable.
A patient may want a large round full projection "augmented" look.
A patient may not have the pectoral muscle (Polands Syndrome).
The muscle may be very important - performance athlete / Body builder etc.

Under the muscle tends to give the implant an extra layer of protection and smooth out the upper pole a bit more - avoiding what my patients call the "posh spice" look.
In very slim individuals it therefore improves the overall cover for the implants- and may give a more natural shape.
Unders may move with exercise however - this is usually a minor movement and acceptable for the benefit of more cover.
Generally it is accepted that textured silicon gel implants under the muscle encapsulate to a lesser / slower extent.
Unders are a little more painful in the immediate post operative period.
Where implants have encapsulated in the "over" position, many surgeons will put replacements under the muscle to improve the covering over the implant.
If implants are placed under the muscle, and then the breast grows a lot or a pregnancy occurs, then the implant may stay where it is, but the breast droop over the implant - this gives rise to a "double bubble" or "snoopy dog" appearance. - So this may be a consideration too !!

I hope this gives some guidance as to where and why!

Any more specific scenarios - just ask !!

JP
John Pereira
John Pereira
Breast Buddies' Resident Surgeon

Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by carol_s 7th March 2011, 9:36 pm

Thank you John this will help a lot of people who are unsure why their surgeon chose one way or the other and is ideal in that we can now refer people to your answer when they ask in a different section of the forum.
carol_s
carol_s
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post by misf1 15th March 2011, 11:24 pm

Thank you, I'm sure I'll think of more scenarios as I've always got something going around in my head. Screwy
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by littlewisher 16th March 2011, 1:22 am

If implants are placed under the muscle, and then the breast grows a lot or a pregnancy occurs, then the implant may stay where it is, but the breast droop over the implant - this gives rise to a "double bubble" or "snoopy dog" appearance. - So this may be a consideration too !!

Uh oh i hope this doesnt happen to me when i get pregnant! If this did happen would a uplift be required or just replacement of the implant? And would the implant then go over the muscle? Xxxx
littlewisher
littlewisher
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 975

Back to top Go down

Post by John Pereira 16th March 2011, 11:29 pm

Hi
It is a possibility that this can happen, and then two choices are possible, an uplift over the implants to restore the breast skin tightness - or an exchange of implants to larger, either sub glandular or submuscular to refill the skin - the important thing is to support your breasts well during pregnancy and breast feeding so that things dont stretch too much. Most people get good skin shrinkage as the breast size reduces post pregnancy and do not need further surgery.

Hope that helps :-)

JP
John Pereira
John Pereira

Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down