Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women can't keep breast implants for life: FDA

+51
stephnoel
tinkerbell24
misskaren
jabberwocky
louise28
MissCET
Sassysazzle
jenniferrf1
missindependant88
yolanda12310
sarahkathryn25
Redtulip123
rubylily
lil-happy-jo
Blueeyedsoul13
Skates
2nd time lucky
Pammie85
fairycake22
luluthefirst
moulineuk@yahoo.co.uk
surferosa
madrigle66
nat4andy
roxanne
dolphinstwins
tsoidahlfah
jangledania
Pol
Peachy34
Ninaella
jellytot1
sarahw23
moongal
uplift
Charlie88
Nemi
charms
sarahdawn31
Lookoutgirl
lolly
DL
kezmac
stokesy88
Little jen
misf1
kezza85
lindsaylouise
sequinssparkle
RoxyChick
COOKIE
55 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Women can't keep breast implants for life: FDA - Page 2 Empty Re: Women can't keep breast implants for life: FDA

Post by lolly 29th June 2011, 7:23 pm

i i remeber when i had my op i did enquire about this, they suggested a shelf life of 10 years for most implants however i was also told that if you dont have any complications then why change them??.

ive had mine 15 years and (touchwood) never had any problems.

However im im having a reop due to wanting to go bigger and to be honest the 15 years worries me, so want to upgrade to the newer version implants if that makes sense.
the years go so fast it really doesnt seem 15 years since i had them done.

i went with transform and can remember paying approx £500 extra for the best implants which at the time were Mghans - not sure of spelling.

so id rather pay that bit extra and go for the best thing you can afford to put in your body, after all it going to be in there 10 years plus all being well...lol
lolly
lolly
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 563

Back to top Go down

Women can't keep breast implants for life: FDA - Page 2 Empty Re: Women can't keep breast implants for life: FDA

Post by Lookoutgirl 29th June 2011, 7:43 pm

Great advise Ladies havent even had the surgery and now I guess I should start savingLOL also doctor said (the lifetime is MY lifetime as he smiled)
Thanks for sharing this Ladies
Lookoutgirl
Lookoutgirl
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 420

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 30th June 2011, 7:14 pm

More to this story, just found that the FDA approved labelling for Silicone gel filled implants -

The FDA approved labeling for silicone gel-filled implants currently recommends that women get their first breast MRI 3 years after they receive the implants and every 2 years thereafter to detect silent ruptures.

You can read the latest full FDA report HERE
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lindsaylouise 1st July 2011, 7:43 pm

Just read the rest of it, would i have to ask the surgeon for these tests? its quite worrying to think they could rupture without you even knowing x
lindsaylouise
lindsaylouise
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 506

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 1st July 2011, 8:18 pm

This has always been a fact lindsay, even before these latest findings and why we stress so much that women do their research PRE-OP so they are fully informed before entering into this surgery babe. xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahdawn31 2nd July 2011, 4:37 am

cookie wrote:More to this story, just found that the FDA approved labelling for Silicone gel filled implants -

The FDA approved labeling for silicone gel-filled implants currently recommends that women get their first breast MRI 3 years after they receive the implants and every 2 years thereafter to detect silent ruptures.

You can read the latest full FDA report HERE

This is all very infomative thanks cookie!
I agree too many girls enter this surgury with the impression its a one off, and with younger and younger girls more often having a BA its important for all this to be stressed. My ps mentioned I would have to keep in mind that my boobs were not for life and I was under that assumption anyway, I already have it in my mind that I will be having a re op down the road. AS for the MRI I didnt know that was the FDA reccomendation however I, being overly aware of my body and health was considering having my breasts examined (MRI) every year or two just to be safe.
I hope this information doesnt scare anyone, but only empowers everyone to be fully informed, because despite this information my boobs make me happy and I would do it again in a heartbeat
sarahdawn31
sarahdawn31
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post by charms 2nd July 2011, 7:05 am

ok... i am really curious about this.// this is exactly the reason i originally wanted just a lift without implants. i have the option to consider implants too, but this is exactly the only reason i would hesitate. i mean.. what really happens when you get older and stuff? how many reops should a person plan on having? really every ten fifteen years until you are eighty or ninety??? what happens if you are ninety years old and in a nursing home and need a reop? i dont mean to sound like a downer and i -dont- think this is any reason not to have them because they improve the quality of life sooooooo much..... but honestly i just dont understand what this really truly means for the future. //

what do you guys think? how do you plan on dealing with this for the future? like, long term future?
charms
charms
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 318

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 2nd July 2011, 7:53 am

sarahdawn31 wrote:I hope this information doesnt scare anyone, but only empowers everyone to be fully informed, because despite this information my boobs make me happy and I would do it again in a heartbeat

Here! Here! babe. xx

charms wrote:what do you guys think? how do you plan on dealing with this for the future? like, long term future?

I think I'm extremely happy with my boobs, although I was stupid and rushed into my first surgery, my second was given a lot of thought and a lot of my own research went into my decision. I got what I wanted from the elective surgery and plan to enjoy my boobs for as long as I'm able! Women can't keep breast implants for life: FDA - Page 2 899188

Some could think me fortunate, others not so, but due to my auto-immune disorder I have a CT scan which is curtesy of the NHS on the chest area every year now so I know that would detect a rupture should I be so unlucky again (It was a CT scan that detected my ruture last time)

Had I not had scheduled CT scans yearly, I think I'd arrange an ultrasound scan every couple of years just to put my mind at rest, afterall I paid thosands of pounds for my boobs! I'm sure I could find a few hundered quid every couple of years for a private scan to ensure my boobs are well maintained and cared for. I LOVE them! I chose them! and I'm gonna look after them! I've been aware of silent ruptures due to my re-op after my own rupture a year and a half a go now and if you read any thread I'm involved in here since I arrived at BJSF almost 2 years ago now with a discussion about ruptures I 'always' mention the silent rupture because I've always felt it's such an important things for us all to know.

Like our lovely Sarah said, none of this is to scare anybody! It will hopefully educate those that are unaware and to also give those that have yet to have their surgery the opportunity to make an informed decision! This isn't a 'bad' thing... If you buy a car you are oblidged to MOT it every year! It's just the same with your boobs in my opinion, we buy 'em! we maintain 'em! it's as simple as that for me. xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by charms 2nd July 2011, 8:16 am

This isn't a 'bad' thing... If you buy a car you are oblidged to MOT it
every year! It's just the same with your boobs in my opinion, we buy
'em! we maintain 'em! it's as simple as that for me. xx

oh i totally agree with that..... and i do think this is something people can use to make an informed decision and thats a really good thing.... // i guess to be more specific:

i mean i guess this is part of making an informed decision... i know its very possible i will not have a lot of money when im old, and its highly possible i may even be living somewhere i cannot even access that kind of medical care... // so i guess its just soemthing to factor into my decision..// (which is exactly what i did) but i mean i just wonder.. is it realistic to plan on really needing another surgery every ten to fifteen years for the rest of your life. or, do you just monitor them, and only have a reop if it becomes necessary? / like if a person gets them when they are twenty, do they honestly need to plan on having six operations if they live until they are eighty? does a person just need to factor in how likely they think it is they can be able to come up with that kind of money? i just dont clearly understand this. //
charms
charms
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 318

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 2nd July 2011, 8:30 am

is it realistic to plan on really needing another surgery every ten to
fifteen years for the rest of your life. or, do you just monitor them,
and only have a reop if it becomes necessary?

Yes Charms, it's VERY realistic to plan for needing another surgery in your lifetime when you have breast implants sweetheart, hopefully someone having this surgery will KNOW that the chances are their implants aren't going to last a lifetime and if they don't know then sites like BJSF will hopefully help inform them if they haven't researched this themselves.

It's wise for any of us for save the money in the event of a complication based on the FDA reseach and information. It's wise to monitor your breasts, if you monitor your breasts then you'd ONLY need a re-op if you NEEDED one and if you follow the guidance then you'd KNOW if you needed one, even if that were from a 'silent rupture'.

That's the guidance given babe. xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DL 2nd July 2011, 11:25 am

mmm very interesting, so how would you go about getting yourself a scan or ultra sound every couple of years ?? Would it be through a company like BMI or another private health care place?? xx
DL
DL
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 238

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 2nd July 2011, 7:22 pm

DL wrote:so how would you go about getting yourself a scan or ultra sound every couple of years ?? Would it be through a company like BMI or another private health care place?? xx

I suppose you could shop around the private health-care to find the cheapest option available, then just boobk and go there hun. xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RoxyChick 3rd July 2011, 10:21 am

charms wrote:what really happens when you get older and stuff? how many reops should a person plan on having? really every ten fifteen years until you are eighty or ninety??? what happens if you are ninety years old and in a nursing home and need a reop?

Yep. Until you have them explanted (I think I probably will by the time I get to 70!) then every 10 years you'll need a reop. This is something that I think is lacking when girls have consultations. Most girls come back either with no idea they'll ned a reop or understanding they'll need one, emphasis on the one, in the future.

The fact of the matter is this: if you have a BA at 20 and want to have fake boobs in your fabulous fifties then you'll need three reops. That's at least £15,000 to consider budgeting over 30 years.

As for when you're in your 90s, I assume any good surgeon would get to a point where they'd only explant and not offer implants. Surgery is a serious procedure and the older we get, coupled with lifestyle choices like smoking, the higher the risk of a problem either with the GA or surgery itself. I don't think it's realistic to think we'll be seeing octogenarians with implants.
RoxyChick
RoxyChick
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 6704

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemi 5th July 2011, 9:18 pm

Hey,
I actually think that the report is really good news for all of us ladies.
The report is saying:
BA are a safe procedure with localised issues!!! It goes further to say that silicon used these days is safe. This is the first longitude research coming out.

two PS and this wonderful site have highlighted that a second and third op are likely at some stage. A girl on here already have hers for 15 years. Most of us will need a re-op much earlier. I have not however heard that anyone having second thoughts after having the op.

So big picture stuff is positive. Or am i too optmistic?

PS Love you avatar littlejen. They look super!!! How are you feeling? I done mine a day after you. T

Nemi
Nemi
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 172

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie88 5th July 2011, 9:36 pm

This has been such an interesting read!
I am going under for my BA a month after turning 21.
My surgeon has been completely honest with me telling me in about 10-15 years will defo need a re op and probably a lift too..
I have decided that from January 2012 Im gonna set a standing order of £50 each month into a saving so that by time re op needs done I should have the money (depending on inflation too)
Cause I can imagine once paying mortgage, bills, if I have an kids etc I would struggle to find the money!! x x x
Charlie88
Charlie88
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post by uplift 7th July 2011, 11:36 am

MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE LIFETIME GUARANTEE ON ALLERGEN NATURELLE IMPLANTS FROM MY PCC AT THE HOSPITAL GROUP WAS THAT WHEN THEY NEED TO BE REPLACED THE IMPLANTS THEMSELVES WOULD BE AT NO COST
I WOULD ONLY NEED TO PAY FOR THE SURGERY ALTHOUGH THE IMPLANTS ONLY COST AN EXTRA 600 POUNDS BUT THATS WHAT THG LIFETIME WARRANTEE MEANT
uplift
uplift
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 54

Back to top Go down

Post by misf1 11th July 2011, 11:24 pm

uplift wrote:MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE LIFETIME GUARANTEE ON ALLERGEN NATURELLE IMPLANTS FROM MY PCC AT THE HOSPITAL GROUP WAS THAT WHEN THEY NEED TO BE REPLACED THE IMPLANTS THEMSELVES WOULD BE AT NO COST
I WOULD ONLY NEED TO PAY FOR THE SURGERY ALTHOUGH THE IMPLANTS ONLY COST AN EXTRA 600 POUNDS BUT THATS WHAT THG LIFETIME WARRANTEE MEANT

No hun only if there is something wrong with the implants ie a rupture would any clinic give you free implants under the manufacturer guarantee (lifetime). If you are just replaceing the implants you would have to pay for new ones. PCC's are sales people, so will sometimes just tell you whatever you want to hear, it's best not to take their word for anything and research their aftercare policy and implant guarantees yourself.
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by moongal 14th July 2011, 1:00 am

HA! So I guess I'll think of this first go around as my training wheel boobies? 250 cc is pretty small, which is what I'm getting this time. Next time maybe I'll go for 350+!!!!!!! Also, next time (for the love of God) hopefully anatomical silicone implants will be widely available in the US!

xoxo
moongal
moongal
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post by moongal 14th July 2011, 1:02 am

misf1 wrote:
uplift wrote:MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE LIFETIME GUARANTEE ON ALLERGEN NATURELLE IMPLANTS FROM MY PCC AT THE HOSPITAL GROUP WAS THAT WHEN THEY NEED TO BE REPLACED THE IMPLANTS THEMSELVES WOULD BE AT NO COST

No hun only if there is something wrong with the implants ie a rupture would any clinic give you free implants under the manufacturer guarantee (lifetime). If you are just replaceing the implants you would have to pay for new ones. PCC's are sales people, so will sometimes just tell you whatever you want to hear, it's best not to take their word for anything and research their aftercare policy and implant guarantees yourself.

I am thinking that after 10-15 years, due to normal wear and tear, MRI scan is likely to find some sort of tear or rupture. Even if it isn't bothering you, maybe it would still be worth getting new ones outta the deal.
moongal
moongal
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahw23 14th July 2011, 9:37 am

Although i havent had mine yet thank you for this info. I was tempted to get the more expensive ones as i was advised they could last upto "25 years" but now i no better! x
sarahw23
sarahw23
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by jellytot1 20th July 2011, 11:16 am

I had mine done 6 months ago, aged 45 - I had allergan naturelles and am hoping they will last til i'm 60 (so 15 years), I will have them replaced then and hopefully they will last til I am 75 when I suppose I will have them taken out, providing I'm fit enough to take the operation - if by that point i'm in a nursing home, dribbling into my cocoa then I don't suppose I will really care.

Have started a re-op fund already as I thought I might not be able to afford it at 60, on a pension but as the government seems to keep putting up the retirement age - may still be working til i'm 75 anyway!!
jellytot1
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 762

Back to top Go down

Post by Ninaella 21st July 2011, 8:39 am

Very interesting read. starting my new boob fund as we speak lol x
Ninaella
Ninaella
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy34 30th July 2011, 10:10 pm

Just seen this thread very interesting. I've always anticipated I will have to have a re-op at some point I'm only 35 and in boobie terms the only way is south no matter how much you look after them! So lifetime warranty to me is relative if you intend to replace a product.

As for aftercare its only worth what your company will honour any way and as we all know from the stories on here certain companies are very clever about wriggling out of honouring their aftercare or making you pay for things that have been caused by the complication occurring.

I had the Allergan Natrelles because of the FDA approval and because they felt to me superior in quality and because they are going to sit inside me for 10 years or so I wanted the best. They looked better but really how well do I know how they are going to perform. Just like my shiny new car looked great but I'm not a mechanic how can I tell whether its a a dud. I trusted to a certain extent what I was told about it and what I researched. I look at it like this I would prefer to have an implant that they have at least attempted to study it made me feel better. If theres even a teeny chance that they have less chance of giving me complications its worth it to me.

As for aftercare I've already had a hassle free re-op and the service I received for my aftercare was great. It didn't cost me a penny.

I have this "lifetime aftercare" but in my mind this does not mean that the implants are indestructable it just means that Natrelle will pay something towards the cost of surgery. In the current climate who is to say your company will be around to honour their aftercare for the whole of your lifetime! Companies go bust all the time. All I know is I'm happy with my choice in company who have honoured things so far and for the future I have myself a boobie maintenance fund to keep the boobies facing outwards not downwards and to make sure theres nothing wrong under the bonnet that I can't detect.

I would hope that we would all monitor our breasts regardless of whether we have implants or not.

It just seems to me that no matter how much research we do theres always something else which is why this site is so great. I'm happy with my boobs for now but no one should be naive enough to think that they will only have the one op! As for when I'm older I chuckle at the thought if my coffin ever gets exhumed that my Natrelles might still be there warranty intact lol xx
Peachy34
Peachy34
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1942

Back to top Go down

Post by Pol 15th August 2011, 9:28 am

Its kinda scarry, but thats what i liked the most about my surgeon he was honest with me and didnt try to upsell.. for me when people admit some inperfection in their product gain more trust than people who hard-sell with "life-time" guarantee... My profession is marketing, makes me see all this bulls**t clearly.
Pol
Pol
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by RoxyChick 26th August 2011, 4:39 pm

Pol, you know the tricks of the trade then! It's all one huge business. They have marketing, PR, crisis management - can you imagine if a high profile client had complications and threatened them with bad publicity? It would damage the comapny's reputation irrevocably - and sales people selling this lifestyle of fast, cheap surgery.

I think most of the girls on here knew that implants aren't for life, but as more and more young girls have surgery (I know I was 21, but I'm fairly clued up on things!) and more and more people see it as some kind of quick fix, I think we'll see women who have been sucked in by the hype, only to be very disappointed in 10 years time when they realise what they thought they were sold wasn't lifetime at all.
RoxyChick
RoxyChick
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 6704

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next