Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

9/10 sunbeds in UK fail to meet saftey standards

+2
tinkerbell24
COOKIE
6 posters

Go down

9/10 sunbeds in UK fail to meet saftey standards Empty 9/10 sunbeds in UK fail to meet saftey standards

Post by COOKIE 20th January 2013, 3:46 pm

Nine out of 10 sunbeds in England fail to meet British and European safety standards, research in the British Journal of Dermatology suggests.

The levels of ultraviolet (UV) radiation emitted by 400 sunbeds were on average two times higher than recommended limits, the study found.

Researchers warn the number of skin cancers may increase if stricter controls are not put in place.

But sunbed manufacturers say regulation is making them safer to use.

The Cancer Research UK funded study examined 402 sunbeds across England between 2010 and 2011.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

We need proper regulation, covering issues like safety of equipment and health warnings for clients”

Nina Goad
British Association of Dermatologists
The researchers from the University of Dundee also looked at the risk of developing skin cancer from sunbeds compared with the risk associated with tanning in the Mediterranean sun.

They found the cancer risk from sunbeds was more than twice that of spending the same length of time in the midday sunshine.

Yinka Ebo, at Cancer Research UK, said: "Research has already shown that using sunbeds for the first time before the age of 35 increases the risk of the skin cancer malignant melanoma by 87%.

"Sunbeds are not going to do you any good - the best-case scenario is they will age and damage your skin. The worst-case scenario is a cancer diagnosis and potentially death."

Regulation on sunbeds came into force in 2009, but the researchers suggest stricter control measures are required to prevent an increase in the number of skin cancers.

Nina Goad, of the British Association of Dermatologists, said: "England is sadly trailing behind the rest of the UK in this matter.

"We need proper regulation, covering issues like safety of equipment and health warnings for clients."

But Gary Lipman, chairman of the Sunbed Association, which represents companies that manufacture and operate tanning stations, said the study findings were out of date.

"The Sunbed Association has been working with its members, non-members and... local authorities since 2009 to inform them about the change in UV emission levels, and advise how to become compliant.

"Sun bed users should check with their salon that the sun bed is 0.3 compliant - that means its UV emission levels are guaranteed to be no higher than the midday Mediterranean sun."

Source HERE

My MIL has has cancer removed from her face, her arm and her leg..... So far, from using sunbeds and over doing it in the sun. She has another growth starting on her nose. The surgery to remove these cancerous wasn't as simple as to remove the small mark, the surgeon had to dig deep to remove all of the cancerous tissue and wide around it also, so a lot of skin gets removed. My poor MIL has a big dent in the side of her face now, a large hole like dent in her leg and another dent in her arm. She's scared out of her mind about what will need to be removed from her nose. Like all of us women, she vain about her looks and thought of losing part of her nose is killing her. And for what?... A tan! Is is really worth it?

I personally don't think so. Give me false tan any day rather than laying there risking skin cancer. Xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

9/10 sunbeds in UK fail to meet saftey standards Empty Re: 9/10 sunbeds in UK fail to meet saftey standards

Post by tinkerbell24 20th January 2013, 3:51 pm

we had to get them taking out the building i work in as it is a healthy living centre and we would have failed our yearly check if we never took them out xx
tinkerbell24
tinkerbell24
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 8811

Back to top Go down

9/10 sunbeds in UK fail to meet saftey standards Empty Re: 9/10 sunbeds in UK fail to meet saftey standards

Post by Kurukullachis 21st January 2013, 3:22 pm

I use to be a bit of a sunbed obsessive years ago.. Not had one in about 3 years. I am olive skinned anyway and never realised my natural skin tone was actually quite dark! So no fake tan or sun beds for me anymore
Kurukullachis
Kurukullachis
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 488

Back to top Go down

Post by mais04 21st January 2013, 3:38 pm

I'm not a fan myself. My plan is to have a couple before my wedding next year as I don't want tan on my dress but would rather use fake tan other than that. My friend when we were in school lost his mum who was late 30s to skin cancer when we were 15 was awful :( they said it was related to sun sun beds baby oils etc xx
mais04
mais04
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1816

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkbabe 21st January 2013, 6:38 pm

I use them in the lead up to holidays, without having them my skin would burn. I personally don't use them all year round though.
pinkbabe
pinkbabe
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 4947

Back to top Go down

Post by misf1 21st January 2013, 6:54 pm

I used to use fake tan, never been on a sun bed (claustrophobia) and always use sunscreen. It's scary as we when sun beds first came out we didn't really know the health implications so I may have tried it if the thought of getting in one didn't scare the life outta me.
I just don't care anymore, if I look pale I look pale, but then when I catch a bit of sun in the summer, people alway comment how nice it looks. So I got to thinking may as well have the comments once a year as to a nice tan, rather than the orange comments behind my back. I can't be bothered with over tanning or spray tans etc. I have quite olive skin and dark hair, I don't need it. I actually think people look better without anything, no fake tan or sun tan. Skin looks so much better au naturel. I also think pale skin is very beautiful.

But I digress. I hate sun beds, everything about them. I also hate those tan injections. It's really not worth it. I've never heard anyone say OMG she is so pale, no one says a thing, but if they have streaks too much tan then the comments fly around. I should work on snog marry avoid, I could be pod lol.
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down