Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Under The Muscle or On Top?

+11
jogo
friedeggs
Boodreams
balamoryyellfruit
CharFaye
Princessjo30
Nicole
angie8131
COOKIE
Lisa34
nire_white
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Under The Muscle or On Top? Empty Under The Muscle or On Top?

Post by nire_white 18th April 2013, 10:56 am

Hello ladies!

Happy Thursday! Best wishes to anyone having surgery today!

So my question for you today is, under the muscle or on top?

What is your preference and why?
What did you get?
What were you recommended?

It's something I can't make my mind up about so I thought I'd put some feelers out and see what all you experts thought ;)

Look forward to reading all your opinions!

Thanks guys!
Nire
x
nire_white
nire_white
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

Under The Muscle or On Top? Empty Re: Under The Muscle or On Top?

Post by Lisa34 18th April 2013, 11:00 am

I would leave it to your surgeon to decide what's best for you. Everybody's size, frame, breast tissue is different so everyone is advised on different placements! I personally had under the muscle, I had no breast tissue left after breast feeding 7 babies x
Lisa34
Lisa34
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 3491

Back to top Go down

Post by nire_white 18th April 2013, 11:33 am

7 babies Lisa! Wow that's amazing.

Ah I see, I'm just a little in the middle really. At my consultation I was told I could have either but his preference for aesthetics was overs. I'm quite happy with that but knowing that having them under the muscle reduces the chance of capsular contraction i just thought I'd weigh up the pros and cons of both. I suppose I'll figure it out more after more consultations I just thought it would be good to find out what you ladies thought.

nw
x
nire_white
nire_white
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 18th April 2013, 11:40 am

If its possible for you to have 'overs' I think most surgeons would suggest this being the best option for you babe.

These are quotes from James McDiarmid. A BAAPS member who once very kindly helped out on the forum:

James McDiarmid wrote:
The decision as to whether an implant is best placed under (usually partial under or dual plane) or over the muscle is one that is best decided at consultation. In general very skinny people with minimal breast tissue do better with implants under the muscle. When implants are behind the muscle they are normally fixed higher and more firmly to the chest wall. They also move when the muscle contracts. I tend to use teardrop shaped (anatomical) implants behind the muscle.

Implants placed in front of the muscle tend to hang, move, feel and (very importantly) age more like a natural breast.
My feeling is that if a patient has the anatomy to support the implant being placed in front of the muscle then this is normally the best place for it. This is after all the natural pocket occupied by the mammary gland. I tend to use round shaped implants in front of the muscle.
An experienced surgeon should be able to advise you appropriately

James McDiarmid wrote:
The usual answer is that it all boils down to thickness of soft tissue coverage (determined by skin pinch) and to a large extent it does, however there are several other factors which figure in the decision.
This conventional wisdom is largely based prior to the advent of form stable (less ripply) implants and holds very true in extremely thin ladies.

After 20 years of medical practice and 10 years NHS consultant and private practice the basis upon which I take the decision to encourage patients to have either unders (usually partial unders/dual plane) versus overs has evolved quite far.

I do not think that there is a correct plane for every patient indeed certain patients would have a good static (i:e photographic) result with a round or teardrop shaped implant either in front of or behind the muscle.

What I would definitely say to you though is that the enhanced mobility of a subglandular (over) implant means a more natural dynamic result. The implant will move with the breast gland as it is filling the natural plane that the glandular tissue normally occupies.
So an 'over' implant will hang, wobble, feel and age more like a normal breast than an 'under'.

The enhanced tissue adherence seen with 'unders' means that in addition to being prone to move with pec major contraction the implants will tend to be rather fixed to the chest wall and not flop to the side when the patient lies down in bed or on a sun-lounger. This is both an advantage and disadvantage as unders will be more gravitationally stable through this enhanced tissue fixity. It can also make them more prone to development of double-bubble as the breast ages and droops and the implant stays up high.

In a nutshell - for the most natural result go for overs if you can. Unders are great in certain patients but not necessary unless you are super skinny.

Hope this helps hun. Xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by nire_white 18th April 2013, 12:28 pm

That's brill cookie! Great to read the comparisons like that, feel more educated on the topic now.

Nire
x
nire_white
nire_white
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by angie8131 18th April 2013, 1:36 pm

Thanx Cookie for the detailed explanatio. I was told I should have overs by 2 PSs and unders by 2. I'm the end I went for overs. When I asked the PS about why he suggested unders it was quite clear that he prefers this placement as he said that 99% of his work is under. But when I asked for an explanation he discussed the rippling, said ur would be lower chance with unders but also said that the top part of an implant can tilt forward with overs. I've never heard anyone say this before so I ignored it. Has anyone else heard of this??
angie8131
angie8131
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1404

Back to top Go down

Post by angie8131 18th April 2013, 1:38 pm

Just wanted to clarify that I chose overs as the PS explained that he needs to fill the space left from breastfeeding, that was the most satisfying answer I got of all the PSs. I'm very happy with the result xx
angie8131
angie8131
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 18th April 2013, 2:08 pm

angie8131 wrote:When I asked the PS about why he suggested unders it was quite clear that he prefers this placement as he said that 99% of his work is under. But when I asked for an explanation he discussed the rippling, said ur would be lower chance with unders but also said that the top part of an implant can tilt forward with overs. I've never heard anyone say this before so I ignored it. Has anyone else heard of this??

Never heard such rubbish ever babe.

Breast implants don't 'tilt forward' at all. If you have very little body fat or breast tissue then there is a risk that the top of the implant may be visible with overs as there's nothing at all to cushion the implant, unlike those with some body fat or breast tissue which cover the implant creating that cushion of coverage.

When going partially under the muscle the muscle replaces that body fat/breast tissue to act as the cushion needed to cover the top of the implant.

There's absolutely no 'tilting' involved hun. X
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by angie8131 18th April 2013, 2:23 pm

cookie wrote:

Never heard such rubbish ever babe

Thanks cookie, that's what I thought, just wanted to double check xx
angie8131
angie8131
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nire_white 18th April 2013, 2:25 pm

The more I read the more questions I have for my next consultation but I'm a little scared they might think I'm asking them absurd questions.

The main thing that bothers me is how they turn out. I know how silly it sounds saying it out loud. It sounds silly just thinking it. I know there is never a guarantee on how they will end up but I'd like a surgeon to look at my chest, look at a picture of what I like/prefer and have them tell me either 'yes there is a good chance they will end up like that" or "no not at all your just a different *enter factor here*, stop day dreaming". I know I should be grateful for the enlargement and should embrace the outcome whatever the weather. But I just can't help thinking, "I'm spending a lot of money I want them to be perfect".

Does this make me a nightmare?

Nire xx
nire_white
nire_white
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa34 18th April 2013, 2:55 pm

No not at all, it makes you "normal"! Surgeons like you to take in pictures, it's better for them to understand what it is you want, rather than walking in and saying I want to be a C cup or D cup! X and they will answer all of your questions. And if they don't, then they're not the surgeon for you Hun! X
Lisa34
Lisa34
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 3491

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole 18th April 2013, 3:13 pm

I would have more consultations and go with the majority vote based on whats best 'for you' i was told unders by 3 surgeons, overs or unders by another, overs by another and then my surgeon said i could 'get away with overs if i had a small implant' but for the size i wanted he recommended unders. Unders and overs both have pros and cons and you need to weigh these up 'for you'. the reason my surgeon thought unders would be best for me was because i'm young and it would give extra support to the implant meaning it'll take longer to sag and so i (hopefully) won't need an uplift when i next have a BA. that was what definitely swayed me for unders but i also liked that it had lower risk of cc and also made mammograms easier (tho touch wood i wont need one anytime soon). xx
Nicole
Nicole
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2455

Back to top Go down

Post by nire_white 18th April 2013, 3:20 pm

I'd be happy if I walked out of there with a chest like Blake Livley! I like to still have a little gap in the middle when wearing a bra. My best friend has always had a small thumb sized gap in her boobies and I have always admired it.

Just feel like I'm going in circles in my head. I feel like I definitely need another chat with Mr Liew before I make my mind up on him because I really liked him and his approach. I will see others but I am quite attached. I think I just want to hear clarification from Mr Liew of how they will look.
nire_white
nire_white
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by angie8131 18th April 2013, 3:49 pm

I had loads of questions at my consultations and it looked as if I was interviewing them lol, I was making notes too. Don't leave any doubts in ur head for worrying they'll think ur stupid. They like questions rather than them telling u a whole essay, and make it clear of what look ur hoping for :-)
angie8131
angie8131
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 18th April 2013, 3:57 pm

Your surgeon plays one of the biggest parts in your decision making Nire, but.... YOU too play as much a big part in making the decision about what is best for YOU.

There is nothing silly about asking questions lovely so put that right out of your head. If you don't ask the questions that are rolling round in your head, you're simply not going to get the answers and in not getting the answers, you'll never know if you could have had better!

YOU and your questioning and asking and showing are what will help get you the best result possible. You're surgeon can only give you so much based on surgery he's done on other women, what you want to know is what they can do for YOU to get YOU want you're wanting.... Are you getting this Nire?, this is all about YOU.

Be sure make your wants from this surgery heard, be sure you understand what you're surgeon suggests and be sure also that your surgeon is understanding what you too are wanting. If you walk away with questions.... Then you didn't get what YOU wanted from the consultation and ask my mother would say babe "if you don't ask... You don't get"!

You're the the one who can make your dreams happen Nire. Its not impossible if your wants are realistic in terms of being right for your body type. So do your homework, ask your questions and hopefully when you do meet 'the one' which may or may not be Mr Liew, you'll walk away feeling fabulous, like you knew you and your surgeon were both reading from the same page and confident that they can give you as near as possible the 'look' you're hoping for. Xx

COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Princessjo30 18th April 2013, 4:28 pm

My surgeon at consultation said I could have either at present but I need to be re-checked as I'm losing a stone before my surgery and I only borderline had enough tissue.
If I can choose I want to go over the muscle, I prefer the look of overs but if he says I need unders then ill go with what he recommends. Xx
Princessjo30
Princessjo30
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 1022

Back to top Go down

Post by CharFaye 18th April 2013, 6:11 pm

Mine are overs, surgeons decision, I had no preference as I totally trusted him, must say I was quite happy when he said overs as usually you have a quicker recovery which I needed to get back to work :) xx
CharFaye
CharFaye
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1240

Back to top Go down

Post by balamoryyellfruit 18th April 2013, 6:43 pm

I had overs. My surgeon said unders would deffo give me "double bubble" and ifi was adamant on unders i would have to go elsewhere just because he was so confident it would be such a wrong choice for me x
balamoryyellfruit
balamoryyellfruit
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1623

http://[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/] [img]http://tickers.T

Back to top Go down

Post by nire_white 18th April 2013, 9:02 pm

Awh guys thanks for all this feedback!

I love finding out what you all think!

And Cookie! Thank you so so much for the reassurance. I think I will definitely be a little more assertive about my preferences at my next consultation.

I think the photographer side in me comes out when I get in there. I find I'm 10x more likely to take on a job when the client comes to me with some ideas but has come to me for my specific style, than if someone comes along and tells me what to do. Because I only do it as a secondary job I have the freedom to pick and choose. I think I always have that in the back of my mind.
nire_white
nire_white
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Boodreams 18th April 2013, 9:22 pm

I was recommended unders because I have very little breast tissue - a 1cm pinch. I was told by 2 diff ps that having overs would not give a great result - potential of seeing the ridge of the implant obviously.

Boodreams
Boodreams
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post by friedeggs 18th April 2013, 9:32 pm

Three surgeons said overs and one said unders but I trust the one who said unders because that's the ps I felt most comfie with and the one I felt who was more experienced!after I explained that I wanted the natural look but that I am such a worrier that ill go wit whatever has less risks,he suggested dual plane which is half under half over and a teardrop he said unders are less likely to ripple etc so I was happy wit that trust ur surgeon babe xx
friedeggs
friedeggs
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 240

Back to top Go down

Post by jogo 19th April 2013, 6:47 am

I was told by one surgeon overs and by another unders. I have very little tissue up top and am quite skinny. My deciding factor was the fact that i work out quite a bit and i didnt want the distortion when the muscle is flexed. The first surgeon never mentioned this at all which made me very uncomfortable - was there anything else he forgot to mention etc. So far at 5 months im happy with the results, although i do seem to be getting a little bit of tenting(think thats what you call it!) on the top inside of one boob - just waiting a few weeks to see if this develops or goes Rolling Eyes
jogo
jogo
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 268

Back to top Go down

Post by angie8131 19th April 2013, 2:15 pm

Jogo, can I ask u what tenting is and whether u chose unders or overs?
angie8131
angie8131
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mandyjs 19th April 2013, 2:23 pm

I've got unders, even though I had a decent amount of breast tissue, the upper pole of my breast was empty after breast feeding and Im quite bony around the chest. I can vary my look, in a sports bra, mind look very natural or in a push up bra or bikini, I can achieve a higher rounder look.
M x
mandyjs
mandyjs
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 631

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 19th April 2013, 2:59 pm

angie8131 wrote:Jogo, can I ask u what tenting is and whether u chose unders or overs?

Tenting is the swelling you can get on the sternum (between the cleavage area) babe.

It does settle down but for some it can take months. Mine took a very long time to settle down. Xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next