Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting article on polyurethane implants

+6
MissFebruary
goldilockz1984
suzifaye
Indicababy
COOKIE
5stonedown
10 posters

Go down

Interesting article on polyurethane implants Empty Interesting article on polyurethane implants

Post by 5stonedown 4th March 2013, 8:25 pm

Just thought this may be of interest to anyone considering polyureathane or furry brazilian implants. This article was written by my surgeon. I myself had the polyureathane implants and I am very happy with my choice of implant. I need a revision in 3 weeks time but this is to do with the uplift and some excess skin and nothing to do with the implant!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
5stonedown
5stonedown
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1899

Back to top Go down

Interesting article on polyurethane implants Empty Re: Interesting article on polyurethane implants

Post by COOKIE 4th March 2013, 8:51 pm

There were a total of 3 minor surgical complications - 2 wound infections and 1 seroma - which resolved with simple treatments. 2 had aestetic results which I felt could have been better but patients were happy and did not require any revision surgery.

Even more interesting that you were given your revision date on the 20th of December last year for aesthetic revision and yet your surgeon failed to add that you, one of her patients DOES require revision surgery to correct the aesthetic result when writing her blog on the 25th of January this year.

I think the polyurethane are very good implants, but I also think if surgeons are going to put themselves out there, they should at least be honest.

Last edited by cookie on 4th March 2013, 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Interesting article on polyurethane implants Empty Re: Interesting article on polyurethane implants

Post by 5stonedown 4th March 2013, 8:53 pm

I wasnt part of the trial Cookie! I didnt give consent to be included!
5stonedown
5stonedown
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 4th March 2013, 8:57 pm

My apologies hun. :flowers: x
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

Back to top Go down

Post by 5stonedown 4th March 2013, 8:58 pm

No worries!!
5stonedown
5stonedown
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Indicababy 7th March 2013, 6:39 pm

Hi 5stonedown, Did your surgeon discuss with you the fact that polyurethane coated implants caused an increased amount of carcinomas and sarcomas in lab tests? Polyurethane is a known carcinogen, it's also the same petrochemical that binbags are made from.

There are loads of interesting studies and articles about this on the internet. Here is one I found [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I don't want to worry you at all, and apologise deeply if I have, Just wondering if surgeons offering this type of implant are making all of their clients aware of any potential risk factors.
Indicababy
Indicababy
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 5stonedown 7th March 2013, 7:39 pm

It is also the same material that pacemakers are made from and has been used in various medical devices and implants such as artificial hips and knees for years. Yes I got told the facts and did my research... as part of my degree we got taught how to disect medical research papers so I know what to look for! When you read the research conducted on HUMANS there is no increased risk of cancer from polyurethane implants. The increased risk was found in mice but not in humans so read the RIGHT research and learn how to critaically analyse it and you soon find the right answers. If there was a proved risk the MHRA would not allow these implants to be used. They completed research on these implants and deemed them safe for us and provide a leaflet for those considering polyurethane implants which details the fact that a risk was found in mice but when tested in humans no link with polyurethane implants and humans was found.

If you read the article you posted you will see that the increased risk was found 'in animals.' The article contradicts itself as it says 'the committee found then to be risky in 2003 but also says that they were reintroduced into the market in 2005' so what does that tell you... well something changed between 2003-2005 to allow them to be reintroduced and that was a long term medical trial which was completed during this time and evaluated polyurethane implants and found them to be safe. The article you refer to is also old and out of date as silimed implants are now FDA approved.

Please dont find 1 article and come here and try to scare people... at least do your research before putting such a claim on this site that these implants cause cancer once you have read 1 very old and unreliable 'article' its not a research paper its an article written by another surgeon so there is no research, RCT or other trial to back up anything he has said... I did my research and checked the medical papers on the medical databases and made sure I knew what I was putting in my body.

And saying that its the same thing that bin bags are made of is like saying matresses are made out of silicone.... doesnt mean its the same type of silicone.. as we all know from the PIP scandal there is a difference between 'medical grade' silicone and silicone for other uses and the same goes for polyurethane and every other substance used in medical devices.
5stonedown
5stonedown
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 5stonedown 7th March 2013, 7:55 pm

Here is a section from a 'proper' research paper on the subject. This is the 23 year trial that took place on these implants and was conducted for the FDA.

Some investigators have raised concerns that polyurethane foam might contain dangerous contaminants or could undergo in
vivo degradation into toxic or carcinogenic byproducts.Chemical analysis using gas chromatography has con-
firmed the presence of small amounts of TDA in the polyurethane usedin breast implants

TDA is a known rodent carcinogen. Experimental studies demonstrate that
polyurethane is susceptible to thermal and hydrolytic degradation under simulated physiologic conditions.
TDA and TDI and toluene isocyanate amine (TIA) are produced in low levels (1.5 ppm/day) when polyurethane foam is
incubated at 37 degrees. Reports of TDA in the urine of a patient with a polyurethane foam-covered breast implant
have been used as presumptive evidence that TDI is converted in vivo into TDA. A number of in vitro
studies have addressed the question of TDA production in association with implanted polyurethane foam, and most
results suggest that small amounts of 2,4-TDA are released. However, TDA is not a known carcinogenic in humans.

FDA analysis reveals that in a woman with 2 polyurethane breast implants, the lifetime risk of developing cancer was so
small that explantation would not be justified.There is historical evidence to support the safety of polyurethane foam in medical devices. Polyurethanes
have been implanted for decades in various applications (eg, pacemaker connectors, fixation devices, hemodialysis
tubing, percutaneous shunts, vascular patches, andgrafts). This material is well tolerated, and there are no
reports or published series to suggest any toxic or carcinogenic side effects.

The FDA concluded that the claim that polyurethane implants can stimulate breast or other cancers is not substantiated by the experimental and
clinical literature.Based on analysis of our data, we conclude that the contracture rate after all types of breast surgery is dramatically lower with polyurethane foam-covered implants than with smooth or textured implants. This benefit persists long term, at least 10 years after
implantation. Aside from a transient skin rash, there were no unusual side effects or complications associated with polyurethane implants. There is nothing in the experimental literature to suggest that polyurethane foam, or its in vivo breakdown products, pose a threat to the health or safety of patients. Polyurethane implants have measurable advantages over smooth and mechanically textured gel-filled prostheses and do not
appear to be associated with an increased risk of complications or morbidity.

5stonedown
5stonedown
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by suzifaye 7th March 2013, 10:25 pm

My polyurethane implants are super soft, I'm so pleased! Didn't think they'd feel like this for a while.
suzifaye
suzifaye
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 234

Back to top Go down

Post by 5stonedown 7th March 2013, 10:46 pm

Good to hear! Mine took ages and ages to soften but they are really soft now!
5stonedown
5stonedown
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by goldilockz1984 8th March 2013, 12:47 am

Hiya girls,

5stonedown, bravo for your research!! Very commendable. I will be getting polyurethane implants and have noticed a lot of scare mongering on the net but I'm trying not to be affected by it. xxx
goldilockz1984
goldilockz1984
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 579

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFebruary 8th March 2013, 2:50 am

I've got the furrys and I love them :0) still a little firm but getting softer and softer everyday!
xx
MissFebruary
MissFebruary
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post by goldilockz1984 8th March 2013, 8:02 am

That's great to hear Miss Feb! Have yours dropped at all or are they pretty much the same as when you first had surgery?
goldilockz1984
goldilockz1984
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 579

Back to top Go down

Interesting article on polyurethane implants Empty Great Article 5stonedown, thank you

Post by Enerjjoy 8th March 2013, 2:22 pm

5stonedown wrote:It is also the same material that pacemakers are made from and has been used in various medical devices and implants such as artificial hips and knees for years. Yes I got told the facts and did my research... as part of my degree we got taught how to disect medical research papers so I know what to look for! When you read the research conducted on HUMANS there is no increased risk of cancer from polyurethane implants. The increased risk was found in mice but not in humans so read the RIGHT research and learn how to critaically analyse it and you soon find the right answers. If there was a proved risk the MHRA would not allow these implants to be used. They completed research on these implants and deemed them safe for us and provide a leaflet for those considering polyurethane implants which details the fact that a risk was found in mice but when tested in humans no link with polyurethane implants and humans was found.

If you read the article you posted you will see that the increased risk was found 'in animals.' The article contradicts itself as it says 'the committee found then to be risky in 2003 but also says that they were reintroduced into the market in 2005' so what does that tell you... well something changed between 2003-2005 to allow them to be reintroduced and that was a long term medical trial which was completed during this time and evaluated polyurethane implants and found them to be safe. The article you refer to is also old and out of date as silimed implants are now FDA approved.

Please dont find 1 article and come here and try to scare people... at least do your research before putting such a claim on this site that these implants cause cancer once you have read 1 very old and unreliable 'article' its not a research paper its an article written by another surgeon so there is no research, RCT or other trial to back up anything he has said... I did my research and checked the medical papers on the medical databases and made sure I knew what I was putting in my body.

And saying that its the same thing that bin bags are made of is like saying matresses are made out of silicone.... doesnt mean its the same type of silicone.. as we all know from the PIP scandal there is a difference between 'medical grade' silicone and silicone for other uses and the same goes for polyurethane and every other substance used in medical devices.
I am also having the pure implants, I like the additional testing and reduced risk of hardening. I also did loads of reseach and you are right, this material has been used in pacemakers for years and the body is comfortable with it.
If I remember my raving years and think of all the crap I put into my body in the pursuit of a good time, I have to say, age has made me much more careful.
Hope all goes well for you - thanks for the input.
See me soon with mega boobies (I hope) x
Enerjjoy
Enerjjoy
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFebruary 8th March 2013, 2:58 pm

Goldilockz, Yeah I think mine have changed shape loads, and still now I don't think they have fully finished changing, due to them still having a bit of softening to do. Although in regards to dropping and fluffing, I don't really think mine will every really do that as I have anatomicals. I'd like to refer to it more as 'settling down and getting comfy' haha!
xx
MissFebruary
MissFebruary
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by shirtripper 8th March 2013, 3:10 pm

i had the silimed implants about a year and a half ago i love mine had no problem touch wood infact i was looking for some advice regarding working out and lifting small weights with these implants there is so little information on these implants on the net and most of that is stuff not worth reading x i had mine under the muscle and can feel pulling when i use mt chest muscles x
shirtripper
shirtripper
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFebruary 8th March 2013, 3:24 pm

The pulling is your muscles contracting around the implant, it's quite normal with unders when doing heavy heavy lifting etc. at work there is a really heavy door and mine always contract when I open the door. I asked my surgeon about this and he said its normal... Feels kind of like the booby dance men do with their pecks haha! But if for you it's something that happens a lot maybe contact your surgeon. I don't lift weights or anything so can't really advise in that.
xx
MissFebruary
MissFebruary
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Indicababy 10th March 2013, 11:07 am

Actually, it was more than one article that I read, I only asked a question (!!!) and it seems to have whipped some of you not so friendly or intelligent people into a completely irrational frenzy. IDGAF if the FDA approved them, they recently tried to classify pizza as a vegetable so if you want to entrust the safety of your health into strangers thats fine, obviously. Normally I would apologise but as you have been rude I'll not.

In regard to carcinogens and vivisection, because you obviously aren't bright enough to know that the reason we test on mammals is because they are biocompatible with humans, what this means lovey, is that something that is tumorgenic and carginogenic in rats will be in humans. I honestly thought people would have learned to do their own research after the pip disaster. Toluene diisocyanate is on your implants, it Is a carcinogen and you moan at me for asking you about it ffs? Grow up, I wasn't trying to scare anyone like I said. You are just being abrupt because you hadn't done your research, your problem, not mine because I'm going for nagors, not some crappy cheap implants that a surgeon got a discount on cos she did a deal with the manufacturer, hence her visit to their factory.
Indicababy
Indicababy
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by MissFebruary 10th March 2013, 11:49 am

If you read a enough about anything you will get scary articles, ones for and ones against. You have decided against the polyurethane implants after your research, I decided to go for them after mine.
Breast buddies is an amazing forum which has helped lots of girls go through their BA journeys, it's a friendly, funny place to come, be open, and share worries, it's also a place where people do get worried easily, so having posts 'stating' various facts about one kind of implant can worry girls.
Saying people aren't bright enough or saying to 'grow up' is not a nice way to hold a discussion. I won't list my series of academic achievements here, I don't think it has anything to do with my ability to chose the breast implant I want.
Breast Buddies is fun and helps so many.
Please let's keep it that way :0)
xx
MissFebruary
MissFebruary
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 5stonedown 10th March 2013, 8:27 pm

Well as Miss February has said I DID do plenty of research and for your infomation Nagors are cheaper than Sillimed implants.. I had the choice of Sillimed or Nagor implants from my surgeon. I chose Sillimed polyurethane implants as a result of my research. I have been an active member on this site for quite some time and have experienced mostly positive supportive people but I think your comments are offensive and rude as you are calling members "unintelligent, unfriendly, irrational, and not bright enough" and then have the cheek to say that we are rude! My surgeon is a well respected BAAPS/BAPRAS surgeon and a consutant plastic surgeon with a fantastic reptuation and has never used cheap products and prides herself on the fact that she has never used PIPs. I trust her judgement and the research that I have read in regards to these implants and I am happy with my choice as are thousands of other women. If you would not choose the implants and have clearly made your choice why raise this issue on the forum other than to upset or worry those who have made this choice? I do not understand your reasons for posting here regarding this issue as this forum is about support and advice.
5stonedown
5stonedown
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 5stonedown 10th March 2013, 8:50 pm

Plus saying that something that is carcinogenic in rodents WILL be in humans is simply not true... scientists agree that they are imperfect surrogates for humans and their biochemistry alters the way certain substances react in their bodies and that results from testing carcinogens on animals cannot be relied on. At the end of the day if you want to be 100% safe dont have breast implants at all... we all take a risk when we put a foreign body in our bodies and there has been plenty of scary stories in relation to the safety of sillicone but you are happy to put that into your body....
5stonedown
5stonedown
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by kay 10th March 2013, 8:54 pm

Name calling and insults will not be tolerated on BJSF x

Healthy debate is one thing, however there is no place for rudeness here x please try to remember that there are real people behind the keyboards, with real emotions x Neither name calling nor rudeness will be tolerated x

There are two sides to everything and people should always do as much research they possibly can and make their own decisions based on all the facts that they have at the time x
kay
kay
Global Mod
Global Mod

Number of posts : 6668

Back to top Go down

Post by RoxyChick 10th March 2013, 9:07 pm

This post has been reported by a member. Please ensure you are respectful towards all members or further action will be taken.

This forum is here to help women decide the implants, surgeon and technique best for them. At the end of the day, we are choosing to put foreign material into our bodies. And as long as we do this with a sound mind a clear judgement, then we are here to support all members.

With regards scaremongering, there are websites and forums out there solely dealing with people who feel implants aren't right for them. And some people will find a problem with anything, after all, I you think implants are causing health issues, very little can be done to convince them otherwise.

While research online is good, there are a thousand voices and a thousand different opinions shouting we listen to them. At the end of the day, we find what we want and make decisions based on that. We respect decisions and viewpoints, regardless of whether we agree or not.
RoxyChick
RoxyChick
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 6704

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down