Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anti-depressants and BA.

+10
jakki32
Princess_x
Sophia6102
eddy787
jenniferrf1
Lisa34
Nicole
tinkerbell24
COOKIE
yolanda12310
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anti-depressants and BA. Empty Anti-depressants and BA.

Post by yolanda12310 18th June 2013, 6:47 pm

I've considered going to the Dr's for anti-depressants as feeling down about a lot of things lately and was hoping they could help me feel myself again but I am avoiding it because I am due to have my BA in September and don't know whether being treated for depression will effect me being able to have it done. I ask this because they always check for history of depression or ask if your on anti-depressants and ive never sought help for depression before so don't know how they go about it all really.
Any help is great please ladies.
x
yolanda12310
yolanda12310
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 473

Back to top Go down

Anti-depressants and BA. Empty Re: Anti-depressants and BA.

Post by COOKIE 18th June 2013, 6:50 pm

It will hun.

If you're taking anti-depressants or have any mental health history the surgeon has a duty to contact your GP to ensure you're fit for surgery. Xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerbell24 18th June 2013, 6:55 pm

hi lovely ive suffered postnatal depression and severe depression that is brought on by how i used to feel about my body

please please please of you can get through this without anti depressants then do it its so difficult to get off them ive been there 3 times lovely

do you know why your feeling like this is there anything that makes you feel better xx
tinkerbell24
tinkerbell24
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 8811

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole 18th June 2013, 7:26 pm

also be aware that if you have suffered from depression than having a general anesthetic can trigger it again post op xx
Nicole
Nicole
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2455

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa34 18th June 2013, 7:49 pm

Hmm I was on anti depressants when I had my first visit to the surgeon. He was very unhappy about performing surgery if I was on them. He asked me to provide a letter from a phsyciatrist asking if I was in the right mental state and if she thought plastic surgery was right for me. Without this he wouldn't perform my BA. 

However, my GP perscribed them because I was depressed about my boobs, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference x
Lisa34
Lisa34
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 3491

Back to top Go down

Post by jenniferrf1 18th June 2013, 7:55 pm

I can't really help but like the girls said... It would affect your BA most likely because they will want to know your in the right mental state etc etc...
I suffer anxiety and have had depression but so far I've managed to stay away from medication... Sorry your having a rough time but if you can stay away from them do xxx
jenniferrf1
jenniferrf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 5942

Back to top Go down

Post by eddy787 18th June 2013, 8:08 pm

Hey hun, I would suggest maybe seeing a counsellor? Your GP should refer you to one ahead of trying meds only snag is that waiting lists are long so you may have to wait til an appt is avail. Talking things throughout can help immensely so maybe try this first? (Or if you have private med cover, counselling is sometimes covered dependent on the policy?) I've been on anti-D's and I managed to come off them after 4 months without issue - I was very aware of not relying on them though!! Hope you feel better soon hun xxx
eddy787
eddy787
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 399

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophia6102 18th June 2013, 8:15 pm

If in uk we have to pay to see a Counseller so if in uk find yourself one and get the process rolling may help u avoid meds but if u need them as a last resort see ur gp for them u would need to speak with plastic surgeon to see what he says x
Sophia6102
Sophia6102
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 547

Back to top Go down

Post by Princess_x 18th June 2013, 8:33 pm

It will affect your BA, so I would try to avoid if poss. I've taken anti d's in the past but I don't believe they are magic pills to cure you, I believe counselling is a whole lot better and no scary side effects. Hope you feel better soon x
Princess_x
Princess_x
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2671

Back to top Go down

Post by jakki32 18th June 2013, 8:51 pm

I was on anti depressants when I went for my consultation. He wrote a letter to my GP to find out why etc and if I was fit for surgery, which I was. People get anxious and depressed for all sorts of reasons. If you need help go and get it. Depression can be on all different levels and I advise you to see your GP from experience. Don't be frightened of it hindering your BA, and don't feel worried about being on anti depressants if you need them. You will be ok after your BA just maybe a bit flat from the initial high which is pretty normal. Good luck
jakki32
jakki32
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerbell24 18th June 2013, 8:56 pm

i was at the point where they were going to send me and mia into a monitored care home so i could still be with mia and also be looked after it was so bad

it did get brought up with my surgeon and he was concerned and he still asks often how im feeling

and al tell you ive been real low at times as ive not got the boobs i set out for and looking at a reop and really hate my boobs most days and its worrying how i keep thinking about going to get the "magic pills" but i know how difficult it took ME to get of them xx
tinkerbell24
tinkerbell24
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerbell24 18th June 2013, 8:58 pm

but jackie is right if you really need them then you need them dont be ashamed or worried about ti xx
tinkerbell24
tinkerbell24
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jakki32 18th June 2013, 8:58 pm

Please, I was told by my family to NOT go on medication and struggled for years, within a year of taking anti depressants I was back to my old self. Depression is a chemical imbalance that sometimes needs medication.
jakki32
jakki32
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerbell24 18th June 2013, 9:07 pm

im just also making it aware it can be very hard to get of them again thats all not saying people who need them shouldnt i just think that sometimes they can be prescribed without the dr talking it over etc xx
tinkerbell24
tinkerbell24
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jakki32 18th June 2013, 9:36 pm

Yes Tinkerbell, there are lots of treatments and they can be seen as a quick fix etc, GP will advise and help. I really needed them and they benefitted me greatly , but there are pros and cons but if you feel depressed get help ASAP don't struggle there, there
jakki32
jakki32
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by misf1 18th June 2013, 9:44 pm

Having suffered and still suffer with depression my advice is your mental health comes before your boobs. I am sorry but that is the way it should be. If your Dr feels that you wouldn't be in a fit state to go through an operation, then hun, it's going to be hard after a BA, cause it can really make you feel down for a little while. If you do suffer with a complication are you going to be strong enough to cope with it? 
There is nothing wrong with seeking help when the world around you gets too much. Plus your Dr may feel you'd be fine with a BA and write a note to your surgeon to say you're fine to go ahead.
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerbell24 18th June 2013, 9:48 pm

misf1 as you know im having complications and of late starting to feel real down so know it can be hard
tinkerbell24
tinkerbell24
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by misf1 18th June 2013, 9:55 pm

I can imagine tink, I think a complication is such a difficult thing to deal with and it's such a long process of waiting around before anything can be done and then fighting for things to be done. I was off my anti depressents for my op and still am at the moment, but I know it would have been torture if I was already in my bad place, I could not have coped. If it's really affecting you at the moment tink, then it may be worth thinking about, just for a while.
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mirren001 19th June 2013, 1:14 am

Anti depressants get a lot of negativity, for those who have a reason for their low mood and depression think it is easier to treat and make a plan in how to overcome it. For others myself included there is no apparent reason for the depression and antidepressants are a god send in enabling me to live a normal life and have only recently realised that I may need to take these all be it a low dose med for the foreseable future maybe indefinately which I feel there is nothing wrong in doing so, if you suffered from chronic pain you would take painkillers daily , just don't understand the taboo surrounding anti depressants. XXX
mirren001
mirren001

Number of posts : 3459

Back to top Go down

Post by towie 19th June 2013, 5:19 am

Hi

I sufferd depression 5 years ago after my marriage broke up it took me months to go and see my GP am so glad I did as otherwise I don't think I would have been here today . I was put on anti depressants and they really helped me depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain once that is sorted your in a better place to deal with things and understand what had made you depressed . I never want. To be in that dark place again and if I ever started feeling how I did then I wouldn't hesitate going back to see my GP , I wouldn't wish how I felt on anyone . Please see your GP before it gets toy bad . I would myself rather wait a little longer for boobies then suffer depression as even when you get your boobies there are going to be highs and lows and would rather be mentally capable of dealing with them . Like some have said though it may not affect your surgeons decision to operate . 
I hope all works out for you xxx
towie
towie
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 232

Back to top Go down

Post by Lisa34 19th June 2013, 6:47 am

Ok so I know I've already posted here, and I gave the impression that you shouldn't touch anti depressants with a 10 foot barge pole, that is not the case!

In 1998 my uncle was killed, unexpectedly, at the age of 18! I got very very depressed! Stopped eating, stopped caring about anything, apart from my 3 children. The youngest was only 5 weeks old at the time.

It took my GP and my mum about a year to get me to start taking the anti depressants, not because I didn't think I needed them, but because I thought they would harm me! By this time I was almost 6 stone, on the verge of being admitted to hospital to be force fed! 

I started taking the anti depressants as I couldn't bear the thought of what I was doing to my children and my mum, I was on them for about 4 years!

What I am saying is there are varying degrees of depression, sometimes it can simply be a case of just needing someone to talk to, somewhere to vent! In other cases it is a very serious disorder and needs medical attention and medication.

What you have to ask yourself is, can you manage without them? Does your depression affect your every day life? If it does then go and see your GP, if necessary put the boobs on hold! Because your mental health does come first!
Lisa34
Lisa34
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 3491

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 19th June 2013, 8:07 am

I actually think that mental health being treated as any other health problem is a GOOD thing.

ANYONE with health certain problems having surgery has to get confirmation from their GP that you're fit for surgery and like any other health problem, if you need help to get better then this should be your priority.

Being on medication doesn't stop you from having surgery, but if you're not well enough, physically or mentally then this may postpone surgery until you are and for your own sake... If YOU don't feel you're well enough - get help! 

Your health comes first :flowers:
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerbell24 19th June 2013, 8:26 am

i agree with everyones post but like Lisa said, depression can be many diff levels and sometimes a talk etc can help if not then there is mediation

i just from my point of view for ME will try and get through this wee hard spell im having with the help of my husband and talking to all you fab girls cause when on anti depressants i had many many side effects and one of them actually made me lower lol crazy

but you know what its great that we can all be so open  about a topic that many many people fear they cant talk about it!! its great we can talk about it xx
tinkerbell24
tinkerbell24
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkerbell24 19th June 2013, 8:29 am

i would say though if your  feeling really low then def get help and dont let you getting a BA come before this cause you can sink deep into depression very very quickly :flowers:
tinkerbell24
tinkerbell24
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jenniferrf1 19th June 2013, 9:10 am

Oh I agree too... I didn't mean don't touch them end of because my mums on them too but I think we all just meant are there other options first? Like the girls said your health does come first :)
Good luck xxxx
jenniferrf1
jenniferrf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 5942

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next