Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

saline or silicone implants...

+8
AmyD
xbeautifulx
mrsm
monkey
BKOZ
alexandra33
misf1
leanne67
12 posters

Go down

saline or silicone implants... Empty saline or silicone implants...

Post by leanne67 9th September 2011, 12:44 pm

Is one better than the other ? And which have most of you had?

to me saline sounds better and not as risky as silicone but is this true?
Also, im 21 and have a history of breast cancer in my family, does anyone know if either type of implants would have an affect on future mammograms ? xx
leanne67
leanne67
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

saline or silicone implants... Empty Re: saline or silicone implants...

Post by misf1 9th September 2011, 1:45 pm

To be honest hun, you probably won't find anyone in the UK that do saline as these are not really used. They also have a higher rupture %.
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by alexandra33 9th September 2011, 1:51 pm

Hey leanne,

Saline is still done in the US, but I opted for silicone as now they have "cohesive gel" and they don't "leak" - if they rupture, everything stays put and doesn't float throughout your system, which used to be why silicone was considered so dangerous. Also, saline always feels "hard" whre the silicone is soft and after a while feels like normal breast tissue (but firm). In saline implants the "shell" of the implant is still made out of silicone, so if you're worried about the silicone in your body, you'll still have it with saline implants.

Misf is right - there's a higher rupture rate because the saline implants have a "valve" where they are filled up from, and that valve can leak or rupture much easier than the gel implant.

Mammograms are done of the breast tissue - so "overs" (subglandular) implants make mamograms difficult. "Unders" (under the muscle) still allows for a normal mamogram as the breast tissue is mostly all still visible by the machine.

In US you have to be 22 to get silicone - but am guessing this is different in the UK?

good luck with your choice!

xxx

ali
alexandra33
alexandra33
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1588

Back to top Go down

Post by BKOZ 9th September 2011, 1:55 pm

Hey hon, saline implants are definitely on the way out. There is still a place for them and they are an option however due to the advanced technology now available with silicone implants, silicone is definitely more popular.

Silicone have a lower rupture rate like MisF1 mentioned and if you're concerned about mammograms, I would reccomend silicone over saline purely because of the advice my surgeon gave me. You can pay for an ultrasound to check your breasts; no matter what type of implant you have there is still an area (about 20% of the breast, from memory) that you wont be able to see because of the implant.

It's something to seriously consider and that is one of the things we need to weigh up when deciding whether or not to have this procedure done.

Also with saline implants, as your surgeon if he has an implant he can show you. If he has one that he has had in his office for a while, you will notice that the implant isn't entirely full. The saline implants still 'breathe' and can create airbubbles inside the implant, casuing the 'ripple' effect.

That said, there are tonnes of girls who have had and are 100% happy with saline implants, it's really a matter of sounding it out with your surgeon and making an educated decision. Maybe start a thread or look for the thread on saline implants on this forum? Those girls will be able to help you..

xx
BKOZ
BKOZ
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 602

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey 9th September 2011, 6:08 pm

I am getting saline. There's actually not a higher rate of ruptures for saline. They are about the same. The only reason that people say that, is because silicone implants have "silent" ruptures. So most women that have the ruptures, don't notice for years. Or ever. With saline, if you have a rupture, you'll know right away. That's why there's a higher rate for women going back with saline ruptures. It's just that they notice, when women with silicone might not ever notice. Saline ruptures aren't harmful to your body since it's just salt water.

I have one breast larger than the other, and saline's are great for correcting that, since the doctor can fill one a little more than the other, to make the size perfectly even.

I'm getting under the muscle, and I have enough breast tissue that my salines will look natural, and feel pretty natural. They'll only be a but more firm than silicone.

I hope this helps you!
monkey
monkey
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 322

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey 9th September 2011, 6:10 pm

Only be a BIT* more firm. Oops, typo. :)
monkey
monkey
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsm 9th September 2011, 7:28 pm

If you're in the UK you don't really have a choice, we all have silicone. x
mrsm
mrsm
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1180

Back to top Go down

Post by xbeautifulx 9th September 2011, 8:40 pm

mrsm wrote:If you're in the UK you don't really have a choice, we all have silicone. x

Lol the straight to the pointness in this made me chuckle
xbeautifulx
xbeautifulx
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 478

Back to top Go down

Post by alexandra33 12th September 2011, 11:56 am

The fact is - it's totally up to you (unless apparently you're in the UK saline or silicone implants... 184153 mrsm!!)

I thought (for the last 10 years have been planning this BA) that I would have saline. I said no way I'd have silicone, if saline ruptures it's safer, etc etc etc. Then I got to the surgeon's office, and I felt the 2 implants. (First of all, I've felt my friends who have saline, and it's considerably more firm - I mean think about it - it's firm silicone shell filled with water vs. a softer shell filled with jelly). But when I saw a silicone gel implant that he had cut open - the silicone doesn't move! It doesn't "leak" out anymore. True, you have to be cautious and vigilant because you don't want to risk CC unneccessarily, but it's really not the silicone of the 80s and 90s.

But totally your decision!!!

xxxx

ali
alexandra33
alexandra33
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyD 12th September 2011, 12:15 pm

I'm having silicone, the cohesive gel, and am totally 100% happy with that. xxx
AmyD
AmyD
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2138

Back to top Go down

Post by D Collins 1st December 2011, 1:49 pm

I have silicone implants & they are ruptured, what do I do or who can I get advice from as I am very worried, they have been in for 26 years.
D Collins
D Collins
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by alexandra33 1st December 2011, 1:55 pm

Hi hunni, You may want to post this in a new thread to get more responses - what type of implants did you have? Was there a warranty? I don't want to read and run, but unfortunately I'm in the US, so for us, we'd have to pay for removal/replacement. Not sure what the process is in Spain. So sorry this happened to you, big hugs!!!

xxx
alexandra33
alexandra33
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MsLondon 1st December 2011, 6:05 pm

I have silicone and wouldn't want saline at all. I'd be too scared they might deflate loool.
MsLondon
MsLondon
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 246

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey 1st December 2011, 11:18 pm

I loooooooooooove my saline!
monkey
monkey
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by roxanne 1st December 2011, 11:31 pm

I'm from Canada so all my friends have saline. They do have quite a firm feel in comparison to the silicone implants I felt on a couple of girls. My good friend had saline 17 years ago, she wants to replace them with silicone when she has a reop because of this. When it comes down to it, they both have their pros and cons.
roxanne
roxanne
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1336

Back to top Go down

Post by misf1 2nd December 2011, 11:32 am

D Collins wrote:I have silicone implants & they are ruptured, what do I do or who can I get advice from as I am very worried, they have been in for 26 years.
you need to see a surgeon to have them removed and or replaced hun, they will also need to remove the gel that has leaked. It may also be in your lymph nodes as your implants are quite old you will probably have the runny gel. I assume you will have to pay for this procedure as I don't think you have an nhs in Spain.
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by FinallyBB 2nd December 2011, 12:54 pm

Also take into consideration that if there is a faulty valve, mold can start growing in the implant so when it leaks into the body it can make you very ill fast. I have seen this happen to a few ladies. I think most surgeons now encourage silicone for many different reasons. Good luck with your decision.

There are risks to both.
FinallyBB
FinallyBB
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down