Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I cover scars for swimming?

+3
ClaireBearBoobs
misf1
jellytot1
7 posters

Go down

Should I cover scars for swimming? Empty Should I cover scars for swimming?

Post by jellytot1 20th January 2011, 9:55 pm

Hi, am off the Centre Parcs with friends for the weekend, I am now 4 weeks post op and was given permission to start swimming again by surgeon last week at check up. I had waterproof dressings over my scars for 3 weeks and on removal last week the surgeon said they had healed well. I have been swimming 3 times for only half an hour each time, made sure I have washed scars with anti bac soap after, dried well, then massaged scars with tanumu cream and re-taped with micropore tape.

My question really is at Centre parcs I may be in and out of the water over a period of several hours - just wondered if I should put waterproof dressings (same as I had after surgery) back on, I have some spare ones as it will be difficult to keep drying scars as my swimsuit will be wet. The surgeon was pleased with scars, but i am not happy with my right scar - it is up high due to swelling, line seems thicker than left side and has puckering on the end, the micropore tape seems to be making it worse, not better. Any suggestions? xx
jellytot1
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 762

Back to top Go down

Should I cover scars for swimming? Empty Re: Should I cover scars for swimming?

Post by misf1 20th January 2011, 10:07 pm

if they are closed and your surgeon has said you can swim I'd say you would be fine. If it would make you feel more comfortable to cover them, I see no harm in it. I know lots of people may disagree with me, but I think the best thing for scar healing is to leave them alone and not put anything on them to cover them, maybe massage them with bio oil if you have been give the go ahead, massaging the scar firmly and in circular motions to help break down the scar tissue.
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireBearBoobs 20th January 2011, 10:13 pm

Hey chick, like misf1 says if they are fully healed and they said you can return to swimming then its fine. xx
ClaireBearBoobs
ClaireBearBoobs
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by jellytot1 20th January 2011, 10:16 pm

So would you not use the micropore tape either? as when I take it off the scar and skin that has been under tape is very red. Tried to do some research on internet about the tape and all I could find was for a company selling expensive silicone sheets saying that "micropore tape didn't help reduce scarring" but they probably would say that to sell their product. My surgeon did say use E45 cream but Carol suggested the Tanuma (or is it Tamuna cream!) which also has good reviews. xx
jellytot1
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireBearBoobs 20th January 2011, 10:20 pm

hey Jellytot, when they say you are ok to go swimming normally you dont have to use tape at all. but people do use tape to help with the scarring. I use Palmers cocoa butter on mine but i have heard people using E45 as well. As long as you scars are fully healed and your skin is no longer red or shiney you should be fine to go. but call you PC or nurse to double check. They say you can get back to normal routine by 6weeks post op. xxx
ClaireBearBoobs
ClaireBearBoobs
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by misf1 20th January 2011, 11:10 pm

I would think your scars are closed fully or they would never have said you could swim at all due to the possibility of infection from bacteria in the water. As you scars are closed now there is no need to put anything on them. It is also quite common to have allergic reactions to micropore tape, which could be aggrivating your scars, it wont hurt them, just make them look angry. I would try investing in a cream or lotion or gel especially for scars. E45 is a good one, I myself used bio oil and palmers cocoa butter all over my boobs inc scars (but only on scars when given the go ahead) I also used pure tea tree oil (just 3 - 4 drops) in my bath every day, which is extrememly good for your skin and it's antibacterial, disinfecting, antiseptic, anti inflamatory, immunostimulant (increasing the body's ability to fight off illness or infection) it's non toxic and non irritating to skin, it helps wound healing by encouraging tissue regeneration, it is capable of penetrating into the lower skin layers with its anti-inflammatory, disinfectant, analgesic (pain killing) and cicatrizant (wound-healing) qualities. It helps the skin to heal by encouraging the formation of scar tissue. and no I dont sell it lol. But I cannot reccomend it highly enough. If you have sensitive skin use it very diluted. I put it on spots neat and they have scabbed up overnight and are gone within a day or two.
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by carol_s 20th January 2011, 11:31 pm

Hi Jellytot1, as the others have said, now you have been given the OK by the surgeon, swimming will be fine - and indeed covering the scar tissue over with micropore tape might well be counter productive to the healing .I would leave it off hunnie and see if the scar area starts to get better on its own The skin does need oxygen and you might be blocking that from entering the skin (see here for an explanation and why you might be slowing down the healing process). I've had nothing covering the scars since my 1 week post op appointment and everything is healing extremely well.
Hope that helps hun
xx
carol_s
carol_s
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post by Zzz1981 21st January 2011, 1:59 am

Hi jellytot,
As everybody has commented you should be findy dandy to swim without any problems. Personally like carol_s said I would let a bit of air get to your scars it will do them a world of good!! Sometimes we can be to careful and forget how we would deal with a cut on our knee if we fell over!! He he

Enjoy your break with your new boobies x x
Zzz1981
Zzz1981
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 203

Back to top Go down

Post by abbie 21st January 2011, 8:04 am

i personally would not wear any tape or anything on your scars at this stage
abbie
abbie
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2679

Back to top Go down

Post by luvlea 21st January 2011, 9:06 am

Wow misfl Im going to start using teatree oil in my bath's as sounds fab and will do me lots of good....

good info on swimming too from everyone as now at 6 wks post op I want to start again... and was worried about my scars..

xx
luvlea
luvlea
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 161

Back to top Go down

Post by jellytot1 21st January 2011, 10:10 am

Thanks for advice ladies, first I am going to go and take tape off scars, then when we go to toddler story time at library am going to do a small detour to Holland & Barrett to look for tea tree oil.

Really looking forward to weekend away, especially when I can flaunt my new assets - i really don't care if people can tell I have had a boob job - I love them!
jellytot1
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by carol_s 21st January 2011, 10:15 am

i really don't care if people can tell I have had a boob job - I love them!
.......... and that is the main thing hun
xx
carol_s
carol_s
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down