Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are what we call unders really partials - confused

4 posters

Go down

Are what we call unders really partials - confused Empty Are what we call unders really partials - confused

Post by ciantwo 20th November 2012, 10:07 am

I am confused. My ps told me in my consultation he would not do unders due to me having enough breast tissue for overs. He said he may do partials but he will decide during surgery. All was fine until I read something last night that said unders are generally only used on mastectomy patients and what we call overs are actually dual plane/ partials. If this is the case I am confused about why my ps would decide during surgery partials or overs, what would make his decision during surgery? Also that makes me feel unprepared as I prepared for the easier recovery with overs but may now infact have unders (partials) can anyone help explain this into easier terms for me? Maybe Cookie if your back lol
ciantwo
ciantwo
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 231

Back to top Go down

Are what we call unders really partials - confused Empty Re: Are what we call unders really partials - confused

Post by queenyk 20th November 2012, 10:38 am

Hi hun

In a nut shell yes what we know as unders is actually partial unders (or dual plane as its sometimes called) i was told this by 2 of the surgeons i saw. They said they just use the term unders for ease. Very few women actually have full unders - as you said ladies that have had mastectomies or women with literally no body fat or breast tissue. Partial unders are when the top of the implant is covered by the muscle but the bottom isn't so technically the implant is still under your muscle. To be honest I think all surgeons should explain this to their patients.
queenyk
queenyk
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 395

Back to top Go down

Are what we call unders really partials - confused Empty Re: Are what we call unders really partials - confused

Post by queenyk 20th November 2012, 10:41 am

Also, have you already booked? If not, maybe you should have a consultation with another surgeon to get a second opinion and set your mind at ease? Xx
queenyk
queenyk
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ciantwo 20th November 2012, 10:47 am

Yes I have my ba next Tuesday. At the time I thought that everyone that said they had under had full unders so when I asked about unders he said no due to double bubble and he will do overs but possibly partials and will decide suring the surgery. Its only now I have realised that unders are rarely used. So now I feel completly confused as I don't know how I feel about having 'unders' having prepared myself for overs. Its my own fault as I went in saying I've been on forums studying and know about the placements, not his fault at all.
ciantwo
ciantwo
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ciantwo 20th November 2012, 10:50 am

So now I am possibly having 'unders', what are the pros/cons of 'unders' vs overs so I know and am totally prepared and can tell him on tuesday which I would prefer. I am very slight, 5ft, size 6 with very thin skin, 30B but completly empty after having 2 children.
ciantwo
ciantwo
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by queenyk 20th November 2012, 11:15 am

I don't really think it's a matter of what you prefer hun, he will do what is best for you with regards to what you have to work with in the begiining but I know where you're coming from, you want to feel as prepared as possible. By the sounds of it, you're more likely going to have overs since he thinks you have enough breast tissue to cover the implant. I suppose he is just preparing you in case he gets in there and it turns out there isn't enough to cover it.

It's all just so scary isn't it, putting our complete trust in them but they know what they are doing and will do what is best for us. Both unders and overs carry risks so all they can do is try and keep those risks as low as possible by placing the implant in the right place for YOU.

I went into my first consultation expecting to be told I was having unders becasue I had hardly any breast tissue and he suggested overs. I was completed taken aback and it really threw me (just like you by the sounds of it) but then another 2 surgeons suggested unders (partials) and explained their reasons why very clearly so I went with the majority. My first consultaion was only 10 minutes anyway so wasnt that keen on him anyway! lol x
queenyk
queenyk
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Loobs 20th November 2012, 11:41 am

Hey,

I was having unders until the surgeon came to draw on me an hour before surgery and told me he may get away with overs, and like your surgeon said, he would decide during the surgery. Its a bit of a shock yes when you have prepared yourself for overs, and really thats is what you may end up with however like Queenyk said, the surgeon will do what is right for your body and what will look good. I have very very thin skin and always thought that I would have unders and i ended up with overs and they look great so im sure you will be fine Are what we call unders really partials - confused 571992

xxx
Loobs
Loobs
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 724

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 20th November 2012, 11:50 am

ciantwo wrote:I am confused. My ps told me in my consultation he would not do unders due to me having enough breast tissue for overs. He said he may do partials but he will decide during surgery.

Placing the implant fully under the muscle is rarely used for a straight forward BA hun. Going fully under the muscle is generally only used for reconstruction purposes. Unless your breast needs reconstruction of some kind you'll either be offered sub-glandular (over the muscle or overs as we more commonly call them) or sub muscular (partially under the muscle. The top of the implant is covered by muscle but released at the bottom so the implant is only partially covered. They're commonly referred to as unders here)

Both placements have their pros and cons but when the right placement is chosen for you the risks are minimised which is why it's so important your surgeon choose the right one for you lovely. Choosing a placement isn't a matter of 'preference' it's all about what best befits your body type.

I wouldn't worry about preparing yourself for either hun. The recovery with partials can cause a little more discomfort but as you've probably read through many posts here, the girls all cope just fine and some even sail through their recovery. I've known some women with overs take longer to heal than some with partials, so stay positive hun, trust your surgeon is going to do what's right for you and you'll be just fine. Xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ciantwo 20th November 2012, 12:09 pm

Thanks for the advise everyone :) he said he will decide during the op, does that mean he will likely put them in over and then see what they look like and decide or will he be looking for something specific to make him decide?
ciantwo
ciantwo
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 20th November 2012, 12:17 pm

He probably decide based on the amount off breast tissue you have lovely. If you have enough breast tissue to cover the implant it acts as a cushion so the implant isn't visible. If you don't have enough breast tissue then going partially under the muscle compensate for the lack of breast tissue and then the muscle replaces the breast tissue to act as a cushion for the implant. Xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down