Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How soon could you drive?

+10
angbabyxx
jay1983
Alt_Barbie
misf1
Phoebe
sarahdawn31
angelemma
carol_s
jellytot
lindylou22
14 posters

Go down

How soon could you drive? Empty How soon could you drive?

Post by lindylou22 2nd January 2011, 11:45 pm

Hi!

I know everyone recovers at a different rate, and I know I'll have to wait at least a week until I can drive again, but realistically will it be a lot longer than this? Was anyone driving again within 2 weeks?

I have my surgery on a Thursday so I'll miss my lectures that day, and Friday... but I was hoping I might be able to go in on the Monday after and sit in a lecture room... does this sound unrealistic? I'm having partial unders, so I know that will make things a bit more painful...

I'm just wondering if I should take my head out of the clouds and expect to be out of action for a little longer than four days!!

LL
x
lindylou22
lindylou22
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 648

Back to top Go down

How soon could you drive? Empty Re: How soon could you drive?

Post by jellytot 2nd January 2011, 11:52 pm

I was going to ask this very question earlier this evening! I'm now 11 days post-op (after having partial unders) and only today drove for the first time! I drove for only 20 minutes and it was hard work! It was exhausting holding my arms to the steering wheel and having to pull down to turn corners. It also used (weak) chest muscles to change gear (second gear was particularly hard for some reason!) I'm hoping It'll be a bit easier when I have to drive to work on Tuesday (otherwise I'll be gritting my teeth a bit to get through it!)

I'm afraid honey that I think you're being a bit unrealistic to think you'll be ok by day 4 - I'd look at seeing if you can get a lift (and someone to carry your books, as even holding my handbag was hard work!)

Sorry, if it's not what you want to hear, but it's best to look after yourself at this time (after all, you've invested a lot in your new boobies!)

Take care of yourself honey! Hug
jellytot
jellytot
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by carol_s 2nd January 2011, 11:54 pm

Yes, I was driving after my 7 days were up. The only problem I had was changing into reverse gear - if I tried with just one hand I got a sharp pain in my leftie, so had to resort to changing into reverse gear with both hands, then it didn't hurt. That lasted about four or five days before I could do it normally again.
xx
carol_s
carol_s
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post by carol_s 2nd January 2011, 11:57 pm

PS - I'm not absolutely certain of the legality of this, but my surgeon (or was it my PCC??) told me that I couldn't drive within 7 days of having a GA as my insurance would be invalidated and so if I had an accident, I would not be covered.
xx
carol_s
carol_s
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou22 3rd January 2011, 12:08 am

Thanks for your replies!! I certainly don't want to be driving, but I was hoping to get a lift in and was thinking that sitting in a lecture room might not be too strenuous... I hadn't thought about the heavy books issue though. I actually take my laptop in with me to write my notes on, and that's pretty heavy so maybe I will have to give myself a little bit longer...

In a funny way it is what I want to hear, as it means I'll get more unofficial holiday, yay!

Wow, Jellytot, Christmas implants!! Have you enjoyed your first Christmas with your new additions? My surgery isn't until March, but I can't wait!

Carol, that makes sense about the insurance issue... I've heard GA can affect you for quite a while. Are you fully functional (lol) yet or do you still get morning boob etc?

LL
x
lindylou22
lindylou22
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by angelemma 3rd January 2011, 12:29 am

I was told not to drive for 24 hrs after the anaesthetic. I drove on day 6 but could have done before hand had I needed to. I do drive an automatic which was no problem at all. I was surprised how easy it was, and the seatbelt didn't even hurt either. But I had overs, don't know if it's harder when you have unders?

xx
angelemma
angelemma
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 532

Back to top Go down

Post by carol_s 3rd January 2011, 12:34 am

Fully functional???? Hysterical Hysterical Hysterical Hysterical Hysterical
I don't think I've ever been that LOL
xx

Emma: I had unders, and as it is the chest muscles involved in dragging that gear stick into reverse, maybe that is why it affected me so much.
xx
PS check your PM's
xx
carol_s
carol_s
BJSF Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahdawn31 3rd January 2011, 4:19 am

I was told to wait 2 weeks and I did because after a week I tried to drive and I just didnt feel stong enough in my upper body to control the car properly, so I felt it was best to wait the 2 weeks until I had more strength.
sarahdawn31
sarahdawn31
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoebe 3rd January 2011, 9:59 am

I had overs and was driving my day 3 or 4, carefully though. My PS advised to wait 48 hrs for the GA to leave my system for insurance purposes.
Phoebe
Phoebe
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1211

Back to top Go down

Post by misf1 3rd January 2011, 2:03 pm

Yes it's 48 hours for the GA to leave your system enough for you to be able to drive legally. I was able to drive me automatic car on day 4 but was hard work and the seatbelt over my boobs was unbearable. I drove my mums car on day 4 just to move it out of the way of mine and reverse gear was impossible with one hand, had to use 2 lol. I'd say after a week I was ok but it was uncomfortable and at 2 weeks I was fine but the seatbelt done my head in for weeks. At 4 days I would not have been able to concentrate in a lecture, I'd have needed a good sleep after if I tried and would not have taken anything in. Give yoourself 2 weeks, if you feel well enough before 2 weeks is up then get yourself back into things slowly. No heavy lifting for 6 weeks
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Alt_Barbie 3rd January 2011, 2:12 pm

I havnt drove yet... I reckon I could have earlier on but since my bruising n swelling has started happening its knocked me back.

If I dont need to (OH can drive me) ill avoid it for at least 2 weeks I think
Alt_Barbie
Alt_Barbie
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 820

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou22 3rd January 2011, 2:35 pm

Thanks everyone!!
Although my OH is currently learning, I'm the only one who drives at the moment, and as we have 2 little kiddies it's very handy! Hopefully my OH will have passed his test by March and I won't have to worry about rushing myself back into the driver's seat. I was definitely planning to have at least a week off from driving, although it's reassuring to hear that I might be able to give it a go within 2 weeks.
I have some good friends at uni who I'm sure will be willing to help out with sending me lecture notes and things, but I can see from reading all of your responses that I'll definitely need to give myself a little more time from going in than I'd hoped!

Thanks again, it's so helpful to be able to speak to people who've been through it before and can give you an honest and realistic perspective on what to expect!!

LL
x
lindylou22
lindylou22
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by jay1983 3rd January 2011, 3:01 pm

I had to wait for 3 weeks as had an uplift and could feel it across my chest as I turned! x
jay1983
jay1983
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 788

Back to top Go down

Post by angbabyxx 3rd January 2011, 3:08 pm

Welcome to BJS hun, it seems the girls have said it all really. Just keep in mind that you should plan ahead as much as you can to ensure that you don't feel pressured into getting back behind the wheel or doing too much, too soon. Realistically, allow yourself a week for your initial recovery, the more rest you get at this point the better start in life your new boobies will have.
I was driving after a week but as the other girls said, it was uncomfortable and probably too soon in my case, my 'side boobs' wouldn't allow for me to put my arms down to my sides properly and so I was holding the steering wheel like an Orangatang - my ams were killing me later that day (one good thing, it stopped me thinking about the pain in my boobs for a while....lol)
You should get a 'ticker' on here hun with your op date in March, so we can countdown to your big day with you!! xx
angbabyxx
angbabyxx
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1108

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou22 3rd January 2011, 8:16 pm

A good suggestion.. how do I do that?!

do I just go to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (as in your signature lol)

LL
x
lindylou22
lindylou22
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by *Sally* 3rd January 2011, 8:25 pm

I think after my first ba it was about a week and second time on the day I got out of hospital Shocked which probably wasn't the best decision I've ever made!

I'd say definitely give yourself at least a week of total rest before you do anything. I could have gone back to work after a week but too an extra week (just because I could!)
*Sally*
*Sally*

Number of posts : 4230

Back to top Go down

Post by hattie260 3rd January 2011, 8:50 pm

I had unders and the first time I drove when I was 1 week post op. BIG mistake! I got really bad pains shortly after. The second time i left it for 2 weeks which was much better. x
hattie260
hattie260
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2121

Back to top Go down

Post by kld247 3rd January 2011, 8:59 pm

I was told at my 7 day post op app. that I could drive if I could do an emergency stop and was ok to reverse.
I didn't feel too confident and we had lots of snow too so I waited 2 weeks and felt much better for it. I had unders but I did have an uplift so my recovery may be slower than yours.

Good luck for Thursday!!
kld247
kld247
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 609

Back to top Go down

Post by jellytot1 3rd January 2011, 10:29 pm

I had my unders on my BA on the 21st Dec so didn't need to drive as my husband had time off over Xmas, I did drive for the first time last Friday (so day 10) to drive the dogs to the field for a walk (as it was also the first time I had taken them out on my own - and they pull on the lead), my teenage daughter did come to help - I found it hard to turn the wheel at slow speeds (although we have got power steering). However, today (day 13) I drove to Asda (only 10 mins away), did a small shop on my own and drove back (did struggle to reverse and turn out of a small parking space though).

I needed to prove to myself that I could do things for myself as I start back to work tomorrow as a Registered Childminder working from home on my own. Would like to take children to toddler group but worried about having to lift them into car, reach across to do seat belts (especially middle seat) and then wrestle with a pushchair. May leave it for this week!

I would ask your uni friends for help in advance just incase you need it - no-one can predict how you will feel - I have felt better and done more than I thought I would be able to.
jellytot1
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 762

Back to top Go down

Post by lindylou22 3rd January 2011, 10:43 pm

Oh my, looking after young children is so much more physical than you'd think isn't it! How many children do you have to look after on a typical day?

It sounds like a really painful thing to have to do, with car seats and all, so good luck if you do decide to start again in the next week!

I'm also wondering if I might need to leave it at least a week anyway because I've read lots of things about the GA having effects for up to a week after, which is something I never really thought about before!

It's funny... every time I read "GA" I think of "gas and air"... can you imagine having a boob job with just gas and air!!! haha.

LL
x
lindylou22
lindylou22
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by jellytot1 3rd January 2011, 10:51 pm

Start back tomorrow at 8 am with a nearly 2 year old, a 2 1/2 year old and a nearly 3 year old, finish at 5 pm. Two of the parents know I have had BA, so I don't think they will mind if children watch a little more TV than normal - I'm really looking forward to having them back, have missed them over Xmas - I have never had 2 weeks off and stayed home, normally if I have 2 weeks off it is because I am away on holiday.

I didn't really have any side effects from gas and air other than being incredible THIRSTY and not being able to quench it - so recommend you take in a breath freshener or mints for when you wake up.

I don't know about having a BA done with just gas and air - but Shelle on here had hers done a few months ago under a local! x
jellytot1
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 762

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down