Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women can't keep breast implants for life: FDA

+51
stephnoel
tinkerbell24
misskaren
jabberwocky
louise28
MissCET
Sassysazzle
jenniferrf1
missindependant88
yolanda12310
sarahkathryn25
Redtulip123
rubylily
lil-happy-jo
Blueeyedsoul13
Skates
2nd time lucky
Pammie85
fairycake22
luluthefirst
moulineuk@yahoo.co.uk
surferosa
madrigle66
nat4andy
roxanne
dolphinstwins
tsoidahlfah
jangledania
Pol
Peachy34
Ninaella
jellytot1
sarahw23
moongal
uplift
Charlie88
Nemi
charms
sarahdawn31
Lookoutgirl
lolly
DL
kezmac
stokesy88
Little jen
misf1
kezza85
lindsaylouise
sequinssparkle
RoxyChick
COOKIE
55 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Women can't keep breast implants for life: FDA - Page 4 Empty Re: Women can't keep breast implants for life: FDA

Post by COOKIE 16th February 2013, 3:12 pm

The thing about breast implants though, as the FDA are putting out there, as with any product, over the years they will have wear and tear and so the 'general' life span for. Breast implant is 10 years and that's even with the best if implants so everybody having a BA should be very aware of this before proceeding because the likelihood of you need further surgery or surgeries if you're very young is very a high probability. This is research done with high grade implants and definitely not something I'd be taking with a pinch of salt Jo and I would personally be preparing now for further surgery in the future should you need it. Give You

Welcome to Breast Buddies Blueeyedsoul wavey

You're right to take this into consideration before jumping into having a BA. Having this surgery is a massive decision and not one to be taken lightly, but its also a very personal decision and for those of us who have gone ahead with having a BA the want/need for better boobs by far outweighs the risks of having complications or needing further surgery in the future and its a decision only you can make hun.

The forum holds a wealth of information though and you'll find so much to help in your research in the 'Breast Augmentation Information' section of the forum and we're happy to help you along your booby journey with whatever decision you reach Blue, so any questions you might have just ask away in the 'General Breast Augmenation' section of the forum and we'll be more than happy to help if we can. :ok:

COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

https://boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Women can't keep breast implants for life: FDA - Page 4 Empty Re: Women can't keep breast implants for life: FDA

Post by lil-happy-jo 16th February 2013, 3:24 pm

My next boob fund has already been started Cookie.

I didn't mean the research should be taken lightly, just that we shouldn't put our trust in the aftercare offered by clinics. After all as you have said, the only thing we can rely on is the money we have saved to pay for further ops if needed.
lil-happy-jo
lil-happy-jo
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 437

Back to top Go down

Post by rubylily 20th February 2013, 9:09 pm

Hey really interesting article and great advice on the fund. The article said "up to 40%" of women needed further surgery who'd had the op for cosmetic reasons - does that mean 60% of women didn't need further ops within 10 years? As that's encouraging x
rubylily
rubylily
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post by misf1 20th February 2013, 9:18 pm

It says that 40% needed it within 10 years, so I'd say that was 40% had a complication and had no choice but to change their implants, the 60% probably didn't have a complication, so they didn't need a re op in the whole 10 years, proving that they can last 10 years.
It is very encouraging.
misf1
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13664

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Redtulip123 23rd February 2013, 4:51 pm

I currently have 13 year old implants. When I had them done I was told they would need replacing after about 10 years. Once 10 years had passed I rang Transform who said that they now advise not to replace if I am not having any problems. So I did nothing and before I knew it they are now 13 years old. They are still fine and have had them checked but I don't want to wait for there to be a problem. I am therefore going to get them replaced in the next couple of months.

It is expensive and I will have to have them replaced again in 10 years but having a ba changed my life and I don't regret the money being spent on it at all.

This thread is great as so many people believe that implants are now for life. It is so important to understand the commitment you are taking on once you start down this road-worth it though!!
Redtulip123
Redtulip123
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 397

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueeyedsoul13 23rd February 2013, 11:50 pm

wow redtulip, that sounds really promising, thanks for posting your story!

i had my first consultation with a surgeon today, and feel more re-assured as i was worrying about risks, but she said that encapsulation risk was at 6%, and that ruptures were even rarer.... she squeezed a demo implant for me to see how durable they are..

so on my journey so far i've gone from thinking i would need only one BA, to thinking i would need another 5 BAs or so in my life if they need replacing every 10 years, to thinking if there are no complications there may be another one BA or so further down the line, which i can totally live with.

sorry for rambling, my mind is just very full at the moment :)
Blueeyedsoul13
Blueeyedsoul13
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1780

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 24th February 2013, 2:41 pm

One thing you should ALL take into consideration after having a BA also is that you should have an MRI every 3 years to check that your implants are intact. Not everyone does this and probably wouldn't if they didnt suspect any problems, but the reason this is advised is because there is a possibility those that go beyond the 10 year marker thinking all is well could have something called a 'silent rupture' you could have your implants for 20 years thinking all is well and you didn't have to change your implants but had they had an MRI the likely hood is that the implant or implants could be ruptured but your body never reacted to the silicone so you were never aware of the rupture, unlike those whose body does react to a rupture and will then present symptoms alerting you to a problem.

All of us having our BA privately are not entitled to free MRI scans to check your implants are intact, so if you want to get them checked the cost would be yours. The cost of these MRIs should also be taken onto consideration also. Xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahkathryn25 2nd March 2013, 7:38 pm

I never knew that about the MRI. I've also started a boob fund for my next op as I'm only 22 now so will need at least another 4? Roughly. But what kind of cost am I looking at, roughly? Some people have said 1/2k others 4/5? What can I expect?

Obviously I understand theres inflation over the years but just so i can have some sort of idea.

Also, MRI's on private healthcare, how much would that be? Do you have to set yourself up on private healthcare like monthly? Or can you just pay for one MRI?
sarahkathryn25
sarahkathryn25
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Redtulip123 2nd March 2013, 10:20 pm

Hi SarahKathryn I am about to get mine replaced. Still confirming cost but will be between 4700-5200 depending on implant choice. I will need to start saving for the next op in another 10+ years!!
Redtulip123
Redtulip123
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 397

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 2nd March 2013, 10:38 pm

sarahkathryn25 wrote:I never knew that about the MRI. I've also started a boob fund for my next op as I'm only 22 now so will need at least another 4? Roughly. But what kind of cost am I looking at, roughly? Some people have said 1/2k others 4/5? What can I expect?

its impossible for us to say hun. id just take things a stage at a time and see how you go. as long as youre saving and are prepared for the eventuality should it occur thats all thats needed right now. you can deal with saving again when you need to start doing that again then cant you hun.

if you start calculating in years like that it can be a little daunting and maybe totally unecessary. The ten year breast implant life is a guide line only, there no saying you might not get 15, 20 or a lifetime out of your implants, but around the 10 year marker is 'generally when they do need changing so its best to always have the money ready 'just incase'

But what kind of cost am I looking at, roughly? Some people have said 1/2k others 4/5? What can I expect?

Obviously I understand theres inflation over the years but just so i can have some sort of idea.

The cosmetic industry is crazy! When I had my first BA 6 years ago, I actually paid more then than I would now!!! BAs are far more popular now and so as the industry has become more competetive they've had no choice to reduce prices to compete with the strong competition out there - the cosmetic industry right now is big business hun, so who knows.... It may be cheaper again, it may remain the same. Its just to difficult to tell hun.

Also, MRI's on private healthcare, how much would that be? Do you have to set yourself up on private healthcare like monthly? Or can you just pay for one MRI?

You don't need monthly healthcare at all babe. They're not that expensive. You could expect to pay around £350 every 3 years just to check your implants are intact. That's not a lot at all is it to ensure you're not walking around with a silent rupture. Xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yolanda12310 17th March 2013, 2:32 pm

Thanks cookie, this was great to read!

x
yolanda12310
yolanda12310
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 473

Back to top Go down

Post by missindependant88 12th July 2013, 10:25 pm

wow, maybe I'm nieve. Am pre-ba and actually believed my PC when she said they wouldn't need to be replaced unless something went wrong. What do most companies like transform agree to fix, does anyone know? Am thinking of going with them but still testing the water at the mo. Feel quite worried now, surely its bad enough going through one op let alone a couple??

x
missindependant88
missindependant88
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 109

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 13th July 2013, 6:47 am

Transform offer 3 years aftercare. So should you have a complication then this would be covered within those 3 years.

They use Allergan implants. (CUIs as standard, Natrelle if asked for a premium implant) these implants are covered by Allergans own warrant, so should they 'rupture' only within 10 years Allergan will cover expenses for a re-op.

Never trust ANYTHING PCCs tell you. They are sales women employed to sell you a product and will as you've found tell you anything to get that sale. Xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jenniferrf1 14th July 2013, 3:03 pm

I agree that this is one of the biggest cons of having a breast enlargement, I'm 21 so without any complications will need at least 4 more and then I'm not sure what ill do when I reach around 60! I've seen a few ladies here who have had them in ten + years and are ok whereas other women who have been more unlucky have only had a few years! I think ten years is a good guideline because after them, the implant must get a bit tired! If they were ok at that stage it would be your choice what you wanted to do, my PCC was clear with me it's a ten year guideline which I was glad about but it's a big commitment we need to save for throughout our lives ! Xx
jenniferrf1
jenniferrf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 5942

Back to top Go down

Post by Sassysazzle 7th August 2013, 6:12 pm

Thanks cookie - that helps a lot to choose between companies throwing the 'lifetime' gaurentee as a selling point to spend more on their product!
Sassysazzle
Sassysazzle
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 971

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 8th August 2013, 12:00 am

I'm glad you're clearer Sassy.

There's no such thing at all as 'lifetime' aftercare. This applies ONLY to access to a surgeon or possibly to an implant warranty, which is completely different to the aftercare cover.

Something else to consider now is that BAAPS members have just started up a new insurance scheme called ASC. If the surgeon offers this insurance and ONLY BAAPS members can opt in to this scheme for a small fee (about £150) you can now get 'additional' cover for complications that would start consecutively 'after' the clinics aftercare runs out giving you a further 2 years.

This is a great opportunity for those choosing BAAPS members giving them far more cover after surgery then they would have had before. Xx

COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MissCET 27th October 2013, 5:49 pm

This is a really interesting thread - thank you. 

it is interesting because there is definately split opinions on this. I am pre BA, but spoke with my Surgeon (BAAPs) about this. He is of the opinion that you would not replace implants unless something goes wrong or you weren't happy with the look of them (effect of gravity, post babies etc!). He said that as surgery carries it's own risks, he would never advise anyone to replace just because they've reached to 10 yr mark. He feels the new generation implants could be fine for much longer than 10 years. He advises monitoring the implant and if they look fine - leave alone. 

However, regardless of this it is vital to be aware that further surgery is likely at some stage. I certainly will be having a 'boob job fund' Post Op and MRI scans every 3 years.xx
MissCET
MissCET
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 424

Back to top Go down

Post by louise28 27th October 2013, 7:50 pm

Oooh glad I've read this as well, never knew about the MRI scans. Thanks x
louise28
louise28
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 900

Back to top Go down

Post by jabberwocky 29th November 2013, 9:39 pm

Sorry, this might be a totally stupid question...  but why would you swap them out after 10 years if there was nothing wrong with them?

Surely whatever's inside them (I'm showing my naivety here as I don't even know what's in them - I said in my intro I'm at the veeeery beginning of my journey ;) ) would be non-toxic so if they did rupture, it wouldn't kill you before you had a chance to book another surgery?  And if you're being responsible and MRI-ing / ultrasounding regularly, you're more likely to spot a problem before it happens?

The 'lifetime' guarantee thing - surely that just means if they randomly explode on you, they get replaced for free?  If your boobs just start heading south then presumably you're not going to get a free set of implants (let alone surgery costs) for that?

Sorry for the newbie questions - I'm just totally confused by this thread now!
jabberwocky
jabberwocky
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 133

Back to top Go down

Post by misskaren 15th December 2013, 11:51 pm

hi

little jen - i think you are right the allergan natrelles have got a 25 year guarantee and they were the standard implants used by my surgeon anyway so i was happy with them,

my surgeon on only early 40s but he still sees patients form previous surgeon who trained him and said some ladies he sees have had them in 22-25 years but not everyone will get this time out of them, he said i will more than likely need another ba in my lifetime and i shoud be going into it with that mindset.

he also said the allergan rep would udually always fund their implants as it would be crazy for them not to, he said if they mucked him about he just would choose nagor or the other company

i am hoping with a very 'fair' surgeon the 25year warranty implants and nuffield promise i should be ok. fingers crossed!!!

xx
misskaren
misskaren
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 172

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 16th December 2013, 12:03 am

Karen - are you aware that the implant warranty only covers the implant babe. Which at most is about £500 for them to sell. 

If you have Allergans Natrelle range, then they will 'contribute' £750 in the first 7 years only and ONLY if you have a confirmed diagnosis of rupture. After that any other costs are yours.

So if you have CC or any other complication then you won't get that contribution, you'll receive the replacement if the 'implant only' for the entirety of the warranty. 

The surgery costs, surgeons costs, medications and hospital stay will all be yours if you aren't covered by the aftercare offered by the clinic. 

The 'implant warranty' and the 'Clinics aftercare' are very seperate.

No implant warranty will pay for your 'surgery costs' They will only ever replace the actual implant. 

And when you're offered 'lifetime cover' by a clinic, this generally isn't entirely true and you find that the things you thought might be covered actually aren't. But they can advertise lifetime cover, because they may indeed be offering that by giving you a lifetime if being able to see a surgeon for free advise for life. This is why we suggest its so important to get what's actually covered by aftercare and what's not listed by the clinic 'before' booking. Xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by misskaren 16th December 2013, 12:11 am

thanks cookie

yeah you are absolutely right i understand its the implant only.

i am waiting to get my paperwork from the nuffield as didnt get this to take home.  did louise on the site send you their new policy - have you seen it?  i am happy to send when i get it.

to be honest i think bmi/nuffiled/transform must al compete agianst each other and offer similar..... is this the case?

xx
misskaren
misskaren
Active BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 16th December 2013, 12:18 am

No hun - I've received nothing back yet from her. 

Each clinic has their own aftercare package and although they may all 'appear' pretty much the same, when set out and documented in a detailed account there are likely to be big differences hun. X
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by misskaren 16th December 2013, 1:17 am

hi cookie

i have spent ages reading through the last 5 pages and this is a very interesting and important topic i feel so thankyou so much for all your thoughts/knowledge/experience.

i must say i went into this hoping at my age (32 currently) i would only need to get them maybe done once more, maybe willy of me.  I am defo going to gt nuffiled to give me their aftercare policy (new one) and i will let you know.

i have some questions/comments can you help give me your thoughts.....

* if implant is absolutey fine after 10 years why would you replace?  my surgeon said if there is nothing wrong with them there is no reason to replace just because they are old - you could be one of the 'lucky ones' and nothing goes wrong.  he has soe patients he has seen who have over 20yearr from implant  Maybe i am just being too positive and hoping i 'could' be one of them!

* silent rupture - if you have the new impants weher teh silicone does no damage to your body and its not going to cause any harm why would you need to get implant out?  My friend has have overs for 15 years and does alot of heavy weight lifting - she has a shoulder pain and went from an mri and they found a luno of silicone under her armpit - doc sais its ore than likely the heavy weights that causes it but if the lum doesnt bother her she does not need to get the impants removed - surely they would not say this is this was affecting her health in any way.

MRI scans - is this different from mammograms?  if my implants are guaranteed for lifetime (25years etc) but my suregry is say, for example, only up to 5 years with nuffield it would make sense for me to get an mri/mammogram before the surgery costs expire

rippling - i understand you are never covered for this and that all implants will ripple through time it just depens on breast tissue/size of implant etc

i thought you would be best person to ask all this!

sorry for the looooong mail!!!

karen
xx
misskaren
misskaren
Active BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE 16th December 2013, 12:49 pm

misskaren wrote:

i have some questions/comments can you help give me your thoughts.....

* if implant is absolutey fine after 10 years why would you replace?  my surgeon said if there is nothing wrong with them there is no reason to replace just because they are old - you could be one of the 'lucky ones' and nothing goes wrong.  he has soe patients he has seen who have over 20yearr from implant  Maybe i am just being too positive and hoping i 'could' be one of them!

your surgeon is right Karen. If it ain't broke....why fix it?

however... The odds are that you will need to fix it. So although you may be one of the lucky ladies your surgeon has seen who has surpassed the guidance, they really are a rare breed and it would be wise to 'prepare' rather than neglect. 

* silent rupture - if you have the new impants weher teh silicone does no damage to your body and its not going to cause any harm why would you need to get implant out?  My friend has have overs for 15 years and does alot of heavy weight lifting - she has a shoulder pain and went from an mri and they found a luno of silicone under her armpit - doc sais its ore than likely the heavy weights that causes it but if the lum doesnt bother her she does not need to get the impants removed - surely they would not say this is this was affecting her health in any way.

I'm actually shocked that your friend was told to leave things be if she already has silicone leak beyond into her lymph nodes. If its started and is already in one, it won't stop leaking and will continue.

this happened to me. I had a silent rupture that a long time to present itself. By the time I had an MRI I had 5 siliconomas and need to have them removed and the implants changed. By this time also my left breast has doubled in size also leaving me no option but to have a full anchor uplift to repair the damage costing me a further £4,500. This was a reduced cost however because I was within my aftercare period (I was only 3 years post-op) Otherwise it would have cost me in the region of £6,500 -  £7,000. 

So if your friend is leaving this and already has a siliconomas... She can expect to have more because there is no way to patch up the implant, so the leak of silicone will continue to leak into her body. For a doctor to ignore this, I actually think it quite shocking and I would tell your friend to seek further advise and get her implants changed. 

MRI scans - is this different from mammograms?  if my implants are guaranteed for lifetime (25years etc) but my suregry is say, for example, only up to 5 years with nuffield it would make sense for me to get an mri/mammogram before the surgery costs expire

Yes, an MRI is different to a mammogram. 

An MRI measures the density of your breast tissue. An MRI takes lots of different images of the same part of the body its focused on. 

If you feel you NEED an MRI then, yeah, it would make sense to have one. But if you're fit and well, there's really no point point babe... I mean, what is it exactly you're looking for?

If you feel you need a mammogram possibly because there's a history if breast cancer in the family, then yes, it would be a good idea to do this prior to surgery... If not, again why would you? 

Its ts advised that after having breast implants you have an MRI about every 3 years to check for silent ruptures. 

rippling - i understand you are never covered for this and that all implants will ripple through time it just depens on breast tissue/size of implant etc

Not all implants will produce a rippling effect. 

Rippling is cause by the lack of cover over the implant. So if you have your BA and then lose a lot of weight for example, this could cause rippling to be seen. 

If you have a baby and your breasts have sagged and you lose a lot of density to the breast, this too could possibly be a reason to see rippling of an implant. 

The majority of us who have breast implants when leaning forward can 'feel' some rippling when leaning forward. Its generally in the cleavage area or to the outsides of the breasts but it cannot be seen at all and this is very normal. No one else would know nor would they be able to feel unless they were to actually position themselves for it to be be felt and actually run the persons fingers across it. 

If you want to keep how they look it take a lot of maintainance - moisturing routine and support. 

But out life will take its till on our boobs eventually no matter how well you try to look after them. Ageing, pregnancy, weightloss, weightgain. All these these things will have an impact on how they look.

after children for many women our breasts sag and we lose all of our upper pole volume which makes our boobs look flat and your chest Boney, this is the same when you have implants.... You still risk the possibility of the breast sagging. 

Ageing comes to us all and over time the skin starts losing it elasticity, therefore sagging starts and again, the aesthetic look of your boobs may not be what you like to see when you look in the mirror. 

Same me with weight loss/gain. Its advised to maintain the weight you are when you had your BA. Anything over a stone either way may have an impact on how your boobs look. 

So alongside the complications which will require replacement. The most common being capsular contracture and rupture, there's also the aesthetic side if this to consider. Gravity will catch up with all of us, so you may not like what you see and feel another BA is what's needed to help you get back the look you want. For example our moderator her (mrsball) has already had 3 BAs and only 30 years old. 

So there's such a lot to consider when having this surgery. 

Please do feel free to ask anything else that might be on your mind or any questions regarding the responses here. Xx
COOKIE
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next