Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breast cancer diagnosis

+7
fluffy_bunn1e
Phoebe
Little jen
sarahdawn31
yettiricey
mrsm
derbylou
11 posters

Go down

Breast cancer diagnosis Empty Breast cancer diagnosis

Post by derbylou 18th June 2011, 6:28 am

Hello Mr Pereira

I am 44 years of age. I had breast augmentation surgery in November 2010 with Mrs CC Kat at Spire Little Aston and am very happy with the result - all seemed to be going well.

Discovered a lump in the top of my left breast above the nipple 2 weeks ago, which seemed quite hard to the touch. Worried I went to see my GP who said he was concerned and would refer me to my local breast unit.

Had an appointment at the breast unit at my local hospital last week and they carried out a mammogram, ultrasound, breast examination and also a core biopsy of the lump (done under ultrasound so not to disturb my implant). I went back yesterday for my results expecting everything to be OK - surely was just a cyst or hardening of tissue following my operation. I have been told that it is cancer - an invasive ductal cancer and have been advised that I will be having surgery and probably radiotherapy/and/or chemo (I guess depending on what they find during surgery). They said that at 7 mm I did very well to detect the lump.

I am going back to the hospital on Wednesday for a breast MRI scan and going for the results on Friday.

I have been reading on the internet and by talking to people I know who have had breast cancer that cancers have different grades and stages. They have not told me the grade or stage of my cancer as yet - is this something they will know at this point from the biopsy? Or is it something they will have to wait for confirmation of until after the MRI?

I am very worried as you can imagine.

I am also wondering what advice you would have with regards a wide excision versus a mastectomy. Will I actually have a choice or will that be dependant on the results of the MRI scan (which I presume will give them a better idea of how far the cancer has spread in the tissue)?

Also what are your thoughts regarding reconstruction following mastectomy? The most important thing to me is to be cancer free, but of course being a woman I would like the best cosmetic result. I am concerned that having a mastectomy and reconstruction done via the NHS at my local hospital may or may not give me the best result cosmetically - do you have a choice via the NHS as to who carries out your surgery?

Very confused and scared at the moment and just trying to come to terms with what is happening to me. Just to cap it all - I was due to be going on holiday on Wednesday 22nd for two weeks! Have been advised that following the MRI and results on Friday there will probably be a wait for surgery. Would it hurt to put my holiday back a few days and go away then - or am I best to wait and have my surgery first?

Too many decisions to make at the moment, so your advise and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Louise
derbylou
derbylou
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Breast cancer diagnosis Empty Re: Breast cancer diagnosis

Post by mrsm 18th June 2011, 7:35 am

Oh my goodness Lou I'm sorry to hear that, and glad that you've managed to spot it while it's so small.
Obviously I'm not Mr Pereira so haven't got anything helpfull to say, but I'll be thinking of you, it must be a terrible shock and I hope it can be dealt with quickly and with minimum discomfort for you.
Take care of yourself and let us know how you get on if you can. Breast cancer diagnosis 571992 x
mrsm
mrsm
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1180

Back to top Go down

Post by yettiricey 18th June 2011, 8:22 am

Oh you poor thing. I don't know what to say other than I hope it all gets sorted and that you detected it very early xxxxx
yettiricey
yettiricey
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2309

Back to top Go down

Post by sarahdawn31 18th June 2011, 8:24 am

Lousie, I am so sorry to hear this, how terribly frightening, I cant even immagine how you feel. I think it is positive that they said it was small so hopefully in very early stages, I wish you all the best hun! Breast cancer diagnosis 571992
sarahdawn31
sarahdawn31
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post by Little jen 18th June 2011, 8:36 am

Hug xx
Little jen
Little jen
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 750

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoebe 18th June 2011, 1:50 pm

I am so sorry, and like the other ladies have all said, thank goodness you found it so early. I wish you all the luck in the world with your treatment. Sending lots of love your way xxx

Pheobe
Phoebe
Phoebe
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 1211

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffy_bunn1e 18th June 2011, 8:18 pm

Sorry to gatecrash, just wanted to say im sorry sorry to hear your news,hopefully you ve caught this early, stay strong hun.. Hug
fluffy_bunn1e
fluffy_bunn1e
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 2697

Back to top Go down

Post by janeella 11th July 2011, 9:05 pm

sending you big hugs xx
janeella
janeella
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Lookoutgirl 11th July 2011, 9:21 pm

Lousie, I am so sorry to hear this, how terribly frightening, I cant even imagine how you feel. I think it is positive that they said it was small so hopefully in very early stages, your in my thoughts at this time.. I say take it slow and if theres a delay, then go on your Holiday and enjoy it the best you can Just get away from everything:) Hug
Lookoutgirl
Lookoutgirl
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 420

Back to top Go down

Post by bigandsmall 11th July 2011, 9:35 pm

Hi Louise
Not sure how it works with the nhs with regard to choosing surgeons etc. Do you have bupa through work or anything like that?
Fingers crossed for you its all really early stage. It sounds hopeful if they said they were surprised you were able to find the lump with it only being 7mm. Breast cancer diagnosis 571992
bigandsmall
bigandsmall
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 256

Back to top Go down

Post by John Pereira 20th July 2011, 10:31 pm

Hi
Sorry not to have contacted you sooner but I have been off work dealing with a kidney stone . I will pm you on this one .

Jp
John Pereira
John Pereira
Breast Buddies' Resident Surgeon
Breast Buddies' Resident Surgeon

Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: