Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

How to complain to / about MYA

Go down

How to complain to / about MYA

Post by Sophie_Sweetcheeks on 2nd December 2014, 10:55 pm

Hi all,

Do any of you know the address to write to with complaints?

Had my BA a month ago at MYA Fitzroy with Mr Frati.

I’m happy overall with the results of my op but there’s various bits of the service I received which I’m not happy about.

– The consultation with Mr Frati was very late, almost 3 hours after it was scheduled for, and by the time he saw me he was clearly tired and not very talkative. He didn’t offer different profiles of implants or discuss placement, he just asked me what size I wanted to be, picked an implant based on that, asked me to try it on and asked if I was OK with the size. That was it, consultation done.
– MYA Fitzroy didn’t notify of my check in time 3 days before the surgery as promised. In fact they only told me that day before, when I phoned them. I had phoned the two days before this and been told it would “probably be 7am”. I was keen to be first in, and had told my PC and the reception staff this, because I have epilepsy which requires medication twice a day (10am and 10pm). So I had asked to be booked in first to line up with the times I take my meds.
– This request was ignored and I was actually booked in 3rd for the day. It also didn’t help that my epileptic fits in the past have been linked to periods of high stress, and all of this was stressing me out quite a lot! I was obviously worried that if I started convulsing just after having the surgery, I could tear open my incisions and cause myself a lot of harm.
– When I got to MYA and was booked in, and eventually spoke to the anaesthetist, he said that he had actually told the reception staff to phone me a few days before the surgery, to tell me that I should take my epilepsy medication in the morning as usual and come in at midday. The idea being that I’d take my meds at 10am and they would be in my system before I was given the anaesthetic.
– I wasn’t contacted to tell me this, they didn’t call or email me. I only found out my admission time when I called them the day before and they told me to come in at 7am. So you can imagine how this was affecting my stress levels and my panic about having a seizure!
– Anyway, I arrived at 7am but had to wait until around 11:30 to actually go up for surgery, to allow my meds to start working before they put me under.
– At every point where I was asked, and on every form I filled out, I indicated that I couldn’t take codeine as it had an adverse reaction with me. I indicated this at the first and second consultations, and at check in, and when the nurse was double-checking the paperwork with me before I went up to surgery. I don’t believe you’re supposed to mix codeine and Tegretol – my epilepsy meds. I think they counteract each other and the Tegretol stops the Codeine from relieving the pain, and the Codeine stops the Tegretol from controlling the seizures. Meaning I could have a fit, and be in a lot of pain whilst having one. The same is true of Tramadol, I’ve since found out.
– After I came round from surgery, the first thing the nurse offered me was Codeine. Despite me saying every time I was asked beforehand, I couldn’t take it. The plan B they offered was Tramadol. Which would have been just as bad. Thankfully I turned both down and asked for ibuprofen since my GP and epilepsy specialist had already given me the all clear for that. But if I had accepted the Codeine or Tramadol I might have had a seizure, and who knows what harm that could have done to me having just come out of surgery!
– I don’t know whether the latex compression bandage was put on too tight, or whether I had an adverse reaction to it, but when it was removed I had several large blisters, almost like blood blisters. These have since dried up and fallen off, but I have scars where a couple of the blisters were, and they don’t appear to be fading.
– I also have a ring of scar around each leg where the top of the compression bandage was, which also don’t appear to be fading. I do wonder if both of these things could be linked and I could be allergic to latex? I’ve never had any surgery before so didn’t know if I was allergic to it (and said the same to MYA when the question came up). I asked the nursing staff a few times how long I needed to keep the stockings on and none of them could give me a clear answer. In the end I took them off after 4 days I think, as I was up and about by then anyway.

As I say I’m overall happy with the results of the surgery, but all of the above has made me very annoyed that I paid so much and received such poor service from the company as a whole.

I’m satisfied that Mr Frati did a good job with the surgery and the anaesthetist (whose name I am sad to say I didn’t make a note of) was absolutely lovely and did a brilliant job of calming me down and reassuring me that I wasn’t going to have a seizure. But looking back now I’m seriously annoyed about the booking in fiasco, and the fact that the nurses tried to give me drugs which I’d stated I couldn’t take and which could have caused a seizure right after my surgery, the consequences of which don’t bear thinking about. All the reassurance in the world wouldn’t help if the nursing staff give you drugs you can’t take, despite you telling them repeatedly you can’t take them without potentially having seizures!!!

So, does anyone know how best to go about making a complaint to MYA?

Thanks girls!
avatar
Sophie_Sweetcheeks
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 1
Location : Herts, UK

Back to top Go down

Re: How to complain to / about MYA

Post by ambzdee94 on 2nd December 2014, 11:16 pm

Hi Sophie , glad you took my advice and joined up . Some of the more experienced ladies will be able to tell you how to go about it xxx
avatar
ambzdee94
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 882
Location : North East

Back to top Go down

Re: How to complain to / about MYA

Post by COOKIE on 3rd December 2014, 2:24 am

Hello and welcome to Breast Buddies Sophie. wavey

Your first port of call to make a complaint against the clinic is your PCC. She will be able to give you all the details required to make the complaint.

If they're not very forthcoming in passing on the details to you, then I'd put my complaint in writing and send it to their registered address and send the letter by recorded delivery so there's no denying they recieved the letter. 

About your concers though...


[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:The consultation with Mr Frati was very late, almost 3 hours after it was scheduled for, and by the time he saw me he was clearly tired and not very talkative. He didn’t offer different profiles of implants or discuss placement, he just asked me what size I wanted to be, picked an implant based on that, asked me to try it on and asked if I was OK with the size. That was it, consultation done

Regardless of the lack of interest, information or time you felt you had and were unhappy with after a 3 hour wait, you were happy enough at the time to book your surgery after a 'no obligation' free consultation. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:MYA Fitzroy didn’t notify of my check in time 3 days before the surgery as promised. In fact they only told me that day before, when I phoned them. I had phoned the two days before this and been told it would “probably be 7am”. I was keen to be first in, and had told my PC and the reception staff this, because I have epilepsy which requires medication twice a day (10am and 10pm). So I had asked to be booked in first to line up with the times I take my meds.
– This request was ignored and I was actually booked in 3rd for the day. It also didn’t help that my epileptic fits in the past have been linked to periods of high stress, and all of this was stressing me out quite a lot! I was obviously worried that if I started convulsing just after having the surgery, I could tear open my incisions and cause myself a lot of harm.

It's mostly common to be told as you were that you'd be contacted around 3 days before your op but it's not unheard of at all to only be notified a day before. It sucks I know, but if for example the clinic had a few emergencies in they wouldn't have contacted you until they knew for sure they had a bed free for you.

In regard to your epilepsy and medication, well, it's not just your surgeon who reads your notes and passes you fit for surgery beyond the time slots reserved for those they feel more in need, it's also the anaesthetist. Both must felt you were fit to have the later time slot you did - ultimately they were right weren't they babe and thankfully you were fine. 

Early slots in general are reserved for those with allergies and for emergency operations. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:When I got to MYA and was booked in, and eventually spoke to the anaesthetist, he said that he had actually told the reception staff to phone me a few days before the surgery, to tell me that I should take my epilepsy medication in the morning as usual and come in at midday. The idea being that I’d take my meds at 10am and they would be in my system before I was given the anaesthetic

'IF' the anaesthetist did request a call then that's not good practise from the hospital, I did say IF babe because it's not unknown for one to tell a porkie to pass the buck for a quiet life. 

I might also mention that as you were in the hospital for 7 anyway, you were able to take your meds as usual and still be able to get your slot on the surgery list. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Anyway, I arrived at 7am but had to wait until around 11:30 to actually go up for surgery, to allow my meds to start working before they put me under

considering you were 3rd on the theatre list Sophie, getting into theatre before afternoon was actually good going! We've had some women here have to wait until as late as 2 or 3 pm before...it just depends on the day lovely how quickly surgery is going to go and if they have any emergencies which they have no control over! but they obviously didn't on the morning you were in. 

Sophie_Sweetcheeks\" wrote:At every point where I was asked, and on every form I filled out, I indicated that I couldn’t take codeine as it had an adverse reaction with me. I indicated this at the first and second consultations, and at check in, and when the nurse was double-checking the paperwork with me before I went up to surgery. I don’t believe you’re supposed to mix codeine and Tegretol – my epilepsy meds. I think they counteract each other and the Tegretol stops the Codeine from relieving the pain, and the Codeine stops the Tegretol from controlling the seizures. Meaning I could have a fit, and be in a lot of pain whilst having one. The same is true of Tramadol, I’ve since found out.

Generally when asked about medications you can't take you're given a red wrist band with the name of the meds you can't take written on them, so at every step of the way, the band will be checked ensuring you don't take anything you shouldn't. They really should have done this, but due to them ensuring you were awake before offering pain meds and you were lucid enough to refuse codeine and Tramadol you were OK. Maybe it's protocol to ensure patients are awake before asking if they want pain relief for this very reason. 

Sophie_Sweetcheeks\" wrote: I don’t know whether the latex compression bandage was put on too tight, or whether I had an adverse reaction to it, but when it was removed I had several large blisters, almost like blood blisters. These have since dried up and fallen off, but I have scars where a couple of the blisters were, and they don’t appear to be fading.
– I also have a ring of scar around each leg where the top of the compression bandage was, which also don’t appear to be fading. I do wonder if both of these things could be linked and I could be allergic to latex? I’ve never had any surgery before so didn’t know if I was allergic to it (and said the same to MYA when the question came up). I asked the nursing staff a few times how long I needed to keep the stockings on and none of them could give me a clear answer. In the end I took them off after 4 days I think, as I was up and about by then anyway.

Unfortunately very often until an allergy presents itself we don't actually know we're allergic to things we might be. 

I too blistered from my dressings, it wasn't pretty and it was very sore. I went to my GP after healing and asked about a possible latex allergy. I had to have a skin test done and it was indeed found I do have an allergy to latex and have informed my clinic this time so hopefully won't suffer in the same way I did last time. 

This is no way is something the clinic can predict though and if you do suspect a latex allergy it's really up to you lovely to see your GP about that. I've known lots of girls here have blistering though and not have allergies, so for your own piece of mind it's best to get checked out so you know in future. Even when I go the dentists they have to wear latex free gloves for me and clear the room of any latex at all. I've never had allergies before, but in the past few years it's just been one thing after another, so you don't have to be born with allergies to have them. They can happen at any time in your life. 

The clinic really can't be held responsible if it is found that you do have an allergy though Sophie. 

The surgical stockings...you acted on common sense which is what many of us have to do with these Sophie. You were right, you were up and about so no requirement for them anymore and you were fine. 

The 'scars' you refer too though - do you mean indentations? 

It can take a couple of days for everything to settle. They're placed on to reduce the risk of DVT whilst under anaesthetic and imobile, so they're on to keep you safe, which I'm sure the indents are worth having for a few days in replacement for the stockings doing their job and you being OK. 


So looking at it from no-ones side I'd say the only thing you really have In all of that list a legitimate complaint about Sophie is the fact that your epilepsy reactions to the certain meds you disclosed really should have been on you at all times. Generally a red band on your wrist highlighting which medications they are. And I'll tell you Sophie, the very best you'll get from this is an apology too. 

I'm really sorry that my responses aren't what you will have wanted to read at all Sophie, but I have to be honest hun and the rest I feel are pretty common practise for Breast Augmentation.  When we think of private care you do think of sheer luxury and a sense of importance and prioritised. When in reality it's the same as the NHS except you're paying to have the surgery when you want with the surgeon you want and in a private room. That's it! In many instances we've seen here that NHS patients are better treated than they are in private care. But until you live it, you just don't know do you Sophie. 

Of course if you feel you want to complain about everything on your list then you should do it Sophie. I'm only one pair of eyes advising based on what I see and knowing how these clinics run. 

I'm really glad you're happy with your new boobs Sophie and congrats of them babe dance xx

_______________________________________________
Hello and welcome to BJSF!

Please feel free to PM any of the BJSF team [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] with any problems or guidance you may need help with on the forum.  




First BA 2006 460CCs CUIs. Ruptured 2009
Revision with full capsulectomy & uplift 410CCs CUIs 2009
Scar Revision with Lollipop Lift 2011
Scar revision resulting in heamatoma 2012
Capsular Contracture & Seroma 2014


If there's any typos in my post, please don't blame me, blame auto-correct on my Ipad - its VERY naughty!

avatar
COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796
Location : North West England

http://Boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: How to complain to / about MYA

Post by Charlii on 3rd December 2014, 8:51 pm

Unfortunately I have to say I agree with Cookie here. You could complain until you're blue in the face, but most you'll get is a shrug and an apology. I would say go ahead and make a complaint if it'll make you feel better, but you wont get anything in return. Nature of the beast I'm afraid.

Best thing you can do now is take it easy, get yourself healed and healthy, and enjoy your new boobs :)

_______________________________________________






Pre Op 32AA
5'8"
9st10ish
10/12
Post Op 32DD/E
avatar
Charlii
Moderator
Moderator

Number of posts : 5339
Location : London

Back to top Go down

Re: How to complain to / about MYA

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum