Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!
Breast Buddies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Explantation Advice

2 posters

Go down

Explantation Advice Empty Explantation Advice

Post by la_violette 29th November 2011, 10:14 pm

Hi John,

I have just found out that one of my implants has ruptured, that they are PIPs and that the silicone has leaked into a number of my lymph nodes.

I am hoping to have them both removed as soon as I can find a new surgeon and a more reasonable price than the £5.7k my original surgeon has quoted me to replace my implants and remove one of my lymph nodes.

I have a billion and one questions regarding this, but would firstly really appreciate some advice on explantation technique.

Would you recommend that the ruptured implant be removed 'en bloc' (a total capsulectomy) and that all the residual silicone be removed at the same time?

I'd also appreciate a second opinion on getting a large lymph node removed from under my armpit. I know I risk having a permanently swollen arm if I have it removed, but I'm not clear what the risks are of leaving it in (I have read a lot of conflicting information on the Internet over the last few weeks).

Thanks very much in advance.
la_violette
la_violette
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Explantation Advice Empty Re: Explantation Advice

Post by John Pereira 14th December 2011, 9:07 pm

Hi - If the implants are ruptured then they should be removed with a total capsulectomy and all the leaked silicone. The lymph nodes if very enlarged will be full of migrated silicone and should be removed too - but only the large ones. The risk of arm swelling (lymphoedema) is small but real. Small nodes that have some silicone in can probably be left at present. The risk of leaving a very large node in place is that the silicone may continue to migrate further up into the arm pit. I have seen one lady where a large node was left and the silicone ended up around the vessels and nerves to the arm and became impossible to remove. There is some scare mongering about potential cancers and PIP implants at present - there is no causative proof regarding this at present - the official test showed no risk of cancer form the PIP Gel so we need to keep a watch on this issue. If you want to PM me with more details please do. £5.7 k seems a lot for this work - especially as Nagor would provide a free implant to replace the ruptured one.

JP
John Pereira
John Pereira
Breast Buddies' Resident Surgeon
Breast Buddies' Resident Surgeon

Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down