Breast Buddies
Hi and welcome to Breast Buddies Forum!

As a guest you're more than welcome to browse the forums and get information about breast augmentation surgery. We feel that everyone deserves to look and feel their best, and all are welcome to have a look around! However some forums are hidden and some aren't available to guests, so you're more than welcome to join up and join in to fully take advantage of all the site has to offer.

Why Register?

• Keep up to date with the latest surgery news
• Chat to friendly girls who've been through the op
• See pictures of real life patients
• Get advice on implant types, sizes, shapes, placements and more
• Ask our resident BAAPS surgeons
• Get your own boob job diary and calendar events
• Get your countdown ticker to your special day
• Access members-only forums

Plus more... much more!

Use the buttons below to register or log in.

Thanks for visiting and talk you soon!

Advice on Nhs referals/fundings/times etc

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Advice on Nhs referals/fundings/times etc

Post by tashab1 on 19th May 2011, 9:52 am

Hi, I'm new but after some advice. After 15 years of living with asymmetry i've decided to have them evened out. I've already been to private consultants who said its gonna cost around £7000. Well they won't finance it as i've got a very low income. Anyway I took plunge and went to the docs. Hes done a referal for it but hes not overly confident due to funding etc. Our rules are at least 3 sizes different. Well I have just over a 2 size difference. theres 2.5 inches difference between my boobs. Well i'm not overly big anway my bigger one is a b/c depending on bra and my small one is non-existant. How long should I wait before I expect to hear from a consultant? what should I say? help
tashab1
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Re: Advice on Nhs referals/fundings/times etc

Post by misf1 on 19th May 2011, 10:29 am

Aw hun, I hope things work out well with your referal, |'m afraid I have no idea how long the wait is. Just wanted to wish you all the luck in the world as it's horrible that the NHS isn't always helping those people that really need it. As for what to say, just tell them the truth hun.
misf1
BJSF Elite Member

Number of posts : 13658

http://www.breastaccessories.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by sars3dd on 19th May 2011, 12:53 pm

I asm up in scotland and if i didnt have my girls inbetween starting this journey and finally getting things sorted it would have took around a year from start to finish. However i took me around 4yrs. it sounds like i was very similar to you and i have to be honest and say am still a bit away for looking normal and being even. I dont want you going into this thinking if you do get accepted that its one op and you will wake up normal, its a very long road to go down and you will never look like the majority of the woman you see on here where the op was straightforward.

with regards to funding, if you dont meet the critia then its unlikely your PCT will fund the op. However if your surgeon puts a big enough case up for you then it could go ahead. You need to see the surgeon and he will be able to give you a better idea x
sars3dd
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 937

Back to top Go down

Post by tashab1 on 20th May 2011, 1:10 pm

thanks ladies, i know its going to take a while but if theres light at the end of the tunnel, i can wait. Just worried about the phschological assessment (sorry spelling) if I get that far. I dont want to seem to desperate, although I am, as its becoming an obsession now lol, since finding out the nhs could do something after being told i couldn't have it done privately due to no finance its all i think about. Is it ok to say how I feel about how I am now? do i mention how uncomfy it is? the fact i can't wear anything low cut/strappy/strapless/swim wear/ etc etc and how hideous it looks! yes thats how i describe it! hideous! i hate the way i am now :(
tashab1
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mistyhoney on 20th May 2011, 1:24 pm

Hi there! I've been accepted for one on the nhs and I actually loved having the psychology appointment as I'd never really spoke out to anyone exactly how it made me feel. I felt so relieved to let everything out and yes there were tears from me but I couldn't help it! I think it's good therapy too just speaking to someone who is genuinely listening to you for the right reasons! Good luck xx
mistyhoney
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 344

Back to top Go down

Post by tashab1 on 20th May 2011, 1:27 pm

oh fantastic, whereabouts are you? how does the process go? my gp wasn't really sure, just put the referal in and said to wait and see how things go.
tashab1
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigandsmall on 20th May 2011, 2:13 pm

Hi hon
I got rejected on the NHS for asymmetry, I'm afraid. I had 2 cup sizes difference and nipples at different heights by by 3cm difference. It really varies by area - my PCT had recently withdrew funding so I had to make a special case for funding, and that was what was turned down.
Fingers crossed for you x
bigandsmall
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 256

Back to top Go down

Post by mistyhoney on 20th May 2011, 2:26 pm

Yep I've been very lucky as my reason was only (I say only as your circumstances seem alot worse than mine) for being very flat chested which in most areas are not accepted as a good enough reason if you know what I mean. I'm up in Scotland too, Sarah and I are being seen at the same hospital so it seems to be it's alot more lenient up here I'm afraid.
I went to my gp, she wrote a letter, got an appointment to be measured and seen by the psychologist then they said yes but that still wasn't a final yes as I had to be seen by the surgeon after finally seeing him i got a real yes so just waiting for August now to go back up and get measured to see what size I'll be going to!! ( I too have had 2 kids in-between all this so it's taken me over 3 years, you'll get through it alot quicker!)
Misty x
mistyhoney
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by tashab1 on 20th May 2011, 4:24 pm

I may have to move to scotland then if i dont get approved lol! :)
tashab1
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise91 on 22nd May 2011, 11:27 am

Hi and Welcome! Just going to tell you a little bit about what happened to me.

I went to my GP in june who referred me and I was put on the waiting list and then I had an appointment with my Consultant in October. Thankfully he agreed that my assymetry is significant (A and D) and informed me that my larger breast is also tuberous. He wrote a letter to the PCT in support for me and then I had my funding apporved in Feburuary. Im now on the waiting list again with the expectation to having my surgery around october time, so all in all it will be 18mnths from intial appointment to first surgery date (Hopefully!!). With the whole process aiming to be finished in about another 18months (so 3 years total!)
I'd just like to reiterate what Sar's has said aswell, it really is a looooonnng route and alot of the time you end up banging your head against a brick wall trying to speak to people/find out some information. At times it really has been emotionally exhausting. I also went in thinking that I'd have one operation and everyting would be fine, however Im now facing the prospect of three surgeries, over another 18 months and even then I'll never be completely normal.
Then again, if you really do feel horrific then it's ALMOST kind of worth it. So Im wishing you the best of luck, and fell free to ask me any questions if I can help!
Xxx
Louise91
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by tashab1 on 31st May 2011, 1:23 pm

Yay, i've had a letter this morning saying that I meet the critieria!! it says tho that my doctor has to refer to me to the hospital treatment sector though, dont know what that means? anybody know?
tashab1
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by COOKIE on 31st May 2011, 1:27 pm

No idea babe, hopefully one of the ladies who underwent their surgery will be along to help soon, just wanted to congratulate you on the referral babe. xx

Please feel free to PM any of the BJSF team [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] with any problems or guidance you may need help with on the forum.  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

First BA 2006 460CCs CUIs. Ruptured 2009
Revision with full capsulectomy & uplift 410CCs CUIs 2009
Scar Revision with Lollipop Lift 2011
Scar revision resulting in heamatoma 2012
Capsular Contracture & Seroma 2014

If there's any typos in my post, please don't blame me, blame auto-correct on my Ipad - its VERY naughty!

COOKIE
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 28796

http://Boobjobsupportforum.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise91 on 31st May 2011, 2:11 pm

Sounds like they've agreed for you to be assesed by a surgeon, and so once your GP refers you (and you may need to chase this) you'll probably get another referral letter through with a number to ring to book your appointment with them thorugh the choose and book system. You've got thorough the first hoop (which apart form the PCT approving is probably the hardest one) so congrats!! Hope it goes well. Xxx
Louise91
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by tashab1 on 5th July 2011, 9:11 am

Update on things, i have a consultation next friday, going by what the lady at reception said my funding has automatically been approved due to having the requirements already! yippee, i'm hoping this is true! what happens at the consultation?
tashab1
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PinkyBecky on 5th July 2011, 9:22 am

Congratulations!!
Consultation for me was when the surgeon had a good (A really good!!) look at my boobs and drew a bit, measured a bit, had a good feel and decided what he thought would be the best implants for me..
He showed me some of his work and had a good chat, making sure I knew the complications etc..
Fair to say I didn't need much convincing to agree to proceed with the procedure !

He also showed me the different types of implants that were available, which really helped :) xx
PinkyBecky
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by tashab1 on 5th July 2011, 10:45 am

ooh hopefully mine will be the same then, i just want to know how they will sort me out! lol
tashab1
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by PinkyBecky on 5th July 2011, 10:47 am

Patience is a virtue with nhs ! I found what helped was writing down all my questions and what i wanted so when i got there i could go through them 1 by 1- really helped put my mind at ease!

Will have to keep me updated ! :) x
PinkyBecky
Newbie BJSF Member

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by tashab1 on 15th July 2011, 1:26 pm

i've had my consultation today and its all good news (well almost) they are going to rectify and make me bigger whoop whoop. i have to have a scan though to find out why one is so small, they think i'm missing the muscle and then after that i'm gonna be booked in to have the expanders in!! so happy although I have to give up smoking now!
tashab1
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mistyhoney on 15th July 2011, 2:28 pm

aw great news for you! congrats xxx
mistyhoney
BJSF Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireLeeds1988 on 15th August 2011, 9:44 pm

Hi so I got my letter on Friday with my booking reference etc but what exactly is the next step? My GP says it's approved but I literally have seen no one, other than my GP referring me to the cosmetic exclusion panel. Please help my confusion someone :-( xx
ClaireLeeds1988
Active BJSF Member

Number of posts : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by tashab1 on 16th August 2011, 6:38 am

I didnt realise it had be confirmed either until i made the appt with the surgeon, anyway i saw him and they said fundings been approved etc, he measured me, looked and felt at everything, was a bit embarassing, never had so many people look at my boobs lol! anyway he said its all fine, they can sort out the volume of my boobs but my nipples are slightly out which unfortunately they can't sort as this is quite difficult but is not overly bad which i dont really mind, anyway he said i needed a scan just to find out how much muscle is missing, this is just to find out whether he will put implants in behind or infront the muscle which i have thursday, dont worry i thought i'd have to stand infront of a panel and argue why i need surgery lol, the fact i havent had to is brilliant and sounds like ur the same so good luck xx
tashab1
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireLeeds1988 on 16th August 2011, 7:28 pm

Wow so when is your op? Or have you already had it? Where you going for surgery?
I called in to see my GP earlier for a bit of clarification and she printed me off a letter addressed to her saying that my case has been discussed by the cosmetic exclusion panel and they are PLEASED to refer my case to a secondary care consultant. My dr said that when I go see my consultant they will probably discuss size and surgery straight away?! Looks like I'm definitely going to be feeling like a normal woman pretty soon!! I'm just so grateful to the NHS for whatever they can do to sort me out because so many people fight so long for funding and I've literally just been given it and I'm shocked!! Especially with the cuts I was expecting a knock back and a rereferral before I was approved.
What's your stats? What size are you going for?
Thanks for replying to this post I really appreciate all the advice and views based on experience! Where abouts are you based?
Thanks again xx
ClaireLeeds1988
Active BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tashab1 on 17th August 2011, 6:26 am

thats good news. I've not go no idea what size i'm gonna be yet, but anything they can do like you to help will be fine. i'm just glad they will be doing both my boobs and not just the smaller one. so hopefully will go to ds or thereabouts. I've not got a date yet, hopefully once the surgeon has my results from the scan i will no know as will be meeting him again and then will be booked for surgery. i'm probably looking around november ish for my surgery as i have to give up smoking and the surgeon said i need to be smoke free for 3 months, I have done a month already but depending on booking times i may have to wait a little longer, you may need 2 sets of surgery tho depending on your problem, i have to wear expanders for a while until the implants are fitted so my skin is stretched enough to take them. well done and good luck/ Oh and i'm in Bristol
tashab1
Newbie BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaireLeeds1988 on 17th August 2011, 4:53 pm

If I could have both of mine done I'd be over the moon but like we've both already said just the help is enough to keep me happy! How long did you have to have the expanders in for? I've read about the smoking so was thinking of starting now if I have to do it anyway!! Shouldn't be too hard considering I'm only on literally 3-4 max a day lol!! Thank you :) you'll have to keep me updated with consultations and your op etc!!
ClaireLeeds1988
Active BJSF Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigandsmall on 18th August 2011, 7:39 pm

Tashab1

Just wanted to say I'm genuinely so so pleased for you as you're a similar difference as I was and being even makes you feel sooo much better dance
bigandsmall
BJSF Addict

Number of posts : 256

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum